Chapter 53: Rock Bottom

I made it to the last week of school, though I dreaded each day that passed. Tristan hadn't tried to get me alone since he'd hurled his threats, and I was hoping he'd simply let me be. Only four more days to go, then graduation that Saturday. I could make it.

We had a prep rally last period that got out early, leaving us all to hang out in the gym as we waited for the bell to ring. I'd been giving Sam the cold shoulder all day after flunking a Physics test. Sam had seen the F on my graded paper, and was asking questions, concerned for me.

"Abigail, I know something is wrong," he said, trying to catch my eye. "I wish you would just tell me."

I shook my head. "It's graduation stress."

"It is more than that, I know it."

I looked up and froze. I couldn't respond to Sam, not when I saw Tristan approaching over his shoulder. Immediately, I could tell something was off, red flags and sirens going off in my mind. Tristan looked angry, determined. His threat screamed in my mind. "You're going to regret it."

"Tristan," I said as I stood, caution in my voice and body. Don't say anything, please don't say anything.

Sam looked between us, seeing the fear on my face. "Is this what is wrong?" he asked as he, too, stood from the bleacher. "Has he been bothering you?"

"Yeah, Princess, have I been bothering you?" Tristan mocked. I shook my head, pleading him not to say anything. I'd become a statue, an ode to terror, my blood frozen in my veins. I was incapable of forming words, not even to beg. "You've enjoyed what we've done together, haven't you?" He turned to Sam then, a Cheshire cat grin on his face. "She's told you, hasn't you? What a little slut she is?"

A dark storm of anger descended on Sam's face. "What did you just say?"

"Oh, you didn't know? Tell him, Abby. Tell him how much a slut you are!"

Sam pulled back and slammed his fist into Tristan's face. Tristan didn't counter, though. Not with his fist, not with violence. No, he choose another route. The worst one.

He spat blood on the ground, his face flush with rage. He got back up in my face, yelling now. "Tell him, Abby! Tell everyone! Tell them about your teacher!"

Desperation flooded through me, breaking through the ice sculpture I'd become. I was shaking all over. "Tristan, stop!" I screamed.

"Oh, didn't you hear?" Tristan yelled, making sure the gathering crowd heard. "SHE SCREWED HER TEACHER!"

"TRISTAN!" I shrieked, the fear and pitch of my voice shaking my vision.

He couldn't!

Heads whipped my way, murmurs of disbelief and mockery ringing in the air, but I hardly registered them.

He'd done it. Tristan had actually done it.

"Regret it now, brat?" he called to me, triumphant smirk spread across his face.

Regret for my whole life descended on me.

Before I could even think to respond, Sam slammed his fist into Tristan's face again, and he dropped. I didn't know if Sam had knocked him out, but I didn't stay around to check. I pushed my way from the crowd, running out of the gym as Sam continued to wail on Tristan.

This can't be happening, I thought. It couldn't be happening.

I should have known Tristan would do it. I should have known! It was exactly the reason why I'd left Sacramento, to leave behind my past and the judgement of those around me.