chapter 2: my life the old life

Natasha's pov:

The principal began to speak and I was not prepared for the words that were about to come out of his mouth  "There is no easy way to put this, but.. your mother has passed away".

I froze, time froze, nothing mattered in that moment.

I was shocked to the core. I was mentally unable to comprehend the words that came out of his mouth. My mother had died. MY MOTHER. I knew she was bound to die soon, but not this morning. I couldn't believe my ears. She couldn't be dead? No way. She wouldn't leave me like that? No way. NO FUCKING WAY.

My emotions were all over the place. I felt sadness for my late mother, but with a hint of anger. I realised I should cover it up with a stern facade. I couldn't let them see a weak version of me. I held back my tears and screams. I couldn't risk it especially with a police officer there. I couldn't let myself be that vulnerable in front of her. I would be exposed. There was no way in hell that I would let that scenario become reality.

The only words that I could blurt out were "H-How?" The police turned and began to tell me that it was an overdose. My heart shattered. Fuck. This was all my fault. FUCK.

I could've helped her. I could've saved her. But I didn't, I only locked myself in my room. I was being selfish. I felt an immense amount of guilt. It built up in my stomach and I began feeling sick. This was all happening too quickly for my liking. Just a mere few hours ago my life was 10 times better. Now all I could think about was my future.

Who was I going to live with? What about all my friends? I vividly remember my family but I hated them. They didn't even fight for me. I never want to live with them, ever. My dad used to love me. He called me his "princesa" He used to love me to the brink and would shower me with endless tickles. During and after the divorce he didn't even spare me a glance. Even when I say his eyes they were of purr hatred.

That day I knew he wasn't the same man from before.

It was as if the police officer was reading my mind. She then spoke out and said "I need to take you down to collect your belongings from your house. After that we need to bring you to the police station to search for any relatives that want to take you in"

Those words full on shattered me. This was all real. This wasn't a dream. My brain wasn't working properly. The principle then gives me his condolences to which I nod. He probably didn't even care. I always got into fights and he usually lectured me about it afterwards.

I couldn't even muster a thought and mindlessly followed the officer towards her sedan. She opened the door for me and I slid in unwillingly. She starts her car and we took off. No goodbyes, nothing.

times passes

Mid ride, brain starts to rejig and I remembered THE BOYS. Holy fuck, I couldn't live without them. No chance in hell. I needed to tell them. I needed them now. I began to reach for my phone and began to call them.

No answer.

They were probably in class and had their phones switched off. I didn't want to disturb them any further. Who knows how they would react? Would they even look at me the same? My thoughts kept on repeating and repeating.

Just then, the sedan comes to a halt and she ushers me to step out. I hesitantly step inside but once I did, I didn't look at the apartment the same. It was a whole different appearance there was caution tape all over my mother's door. The curiosity was killing me but I couldn't bear to see what the inside looked like.