chapter 30: caught red handed

Natasha's pov:

I stare at Adrien as he pours me a glass of water from the kitchen. We were all huddled together in the living room. I was on the couch with Leo and Chase whilst Vincent, Xavier and Xander stood up. My chest was still rising up and down rapidly but when Adrien comes back he hands me the cup.

I chug it all down hoping my feelings would go with it.

I hated when I got emotional. It was so stupid. I hated myself for it. When I finish the water Adrien takes back my glass and leaves in on the counter. He scurries back to us. It was pin silence from the moment they found me in their meeting room. No one said or exchanged a word to eachother.

It was scary if I'm being completely honest.

Most of them looked ashamed or even disappointed. I didn't like the feeling of them being disappointed of me. I didn't like it at all. I look down to my hands, fiddling with them to cope with my worries. I couldn't bare to look my biological brothers in the eye, scared of what they'll think of me.

"What did you see in there?" Vincent breaks the ongoing silence.

I swallow my saliva before answering his question, or so I thought. I didn't want to hit the nail straight on the head so I don't ask about the elephant in the room. Instead, I counter back and ask him a question. "Why am I not allowed to enter that room?"

"You're just not." Adrien answers briefly.

"So you think that justifies as an answer?" I ask with my anger building up. It was completely unfair for them not to give me a fair reason. They can't go into the room and I can't? It's so messed up.

"It does for me." Vincent steps back into the conversation. Oh yea, like that makes it alright.

"That isn't fair." I voice out my opinion.

"Life isn't fair." I hear Xander mumble quietly. What a jackass.

"It's for your own good. Believe me." Leo tries to assure me.

I look back to my hands not wanting to be apart of this conversation where they confront me for exploring a house that I live in. Can you blame me? It seems unfair that they won't tell me. Vincent signals that it was enough and looks down to me. "What's rule number one?" He asks strictly.

"Always speak when you're spoken to." I mumble quietly.

He looks down to me and sternly says "Apply it here."

My posture sulks even further than before. What was his true aim here? Was it to teach me about the secret room or to teach me a moral lesson? Because currently, he wasn't doing either.

"Don't forget about the little stunt that you put on in the cafeteria today." Adrien adds on.

"You told them?" I directly ask Xavier in disbelief. The one person that I thought I could trust. The one person that I was actually close with. It wasn't even that big of a deal.

"You were with Nico. The one person I advised you not to talk to." He explains.

"I don't even know who he is! I was sitting with Flynn and Harper." I correct him. I didn't run into Nico that day at all. Harper was the only new kid I talked with. I was loosing my patience by the second.