Chapter 6

It had been an eventful day, but one that I think brought us a lot closer together. No, not like now we were going to be dating, but I knew now that nothing would come between our friendship. We had too much in common and were both hurting in our own way. Maybe a friend is all we could be for each other, but that was ok. She was the friend I'd needed since my dad died, and I hoped I could be one for her too. I may not know what exactly she was going through, but I would support her however she wanted.

"Are you ready for burgers?" I asked Shay as we snuggled up on the couch under a big blanket. She was very careful with me, never putting me in a position that would be deemed sexual, and yet always giving me comfort at the same time. Hell, she hadn't even brought me up to her room for a tour, probably for that very reason. She treated me like she was afraid to hurt me, like I was somehow precious. I didn't mind, but honestly, I would have killed for a kiss. I know, I know, my stupid crush was getting worse.

"Yes please! Can I do anything to help?" She threw the blanket back and was on her feet in an instant. She held her hand out to help me up, and when I grabbed it, she hauled me right to my feet, making me yelp in surprise.

I chuckled as I placed my hand on her hip to keep myself from flying into her. "Yeah, you said you wanted to learn, right? So, you'll do a lot with me, and next time you can make the burgers."

"You're not going to stick around and be my personal chef?" She gave me a mock pout and I had to swallow at the sight of her lower lip jutting out.

"Whenever I can, I will be your chef. Absolutely." I had no idea how often she would be left alone here, but I'd be happy to come over and cook with her. Even if we weren't dating, it was much better to cook for a friend who appreciated the food, rather than seeing my mom eat like a zombie.

She broke into another smile, then gave me a quick hug. "Thanks, Amber. I'll probably take you up on that more than you think."

"Are you planning on being alone for more dinners?"

"Yep, lots of them. Lynn takes gymnastics, and I have little doubt she'll be a cheerleader in high school. Everyone will be out at her games and at her gymnastics competitions. I'll be here, because they never take me, and maybe I could use a personal chef on those days." She wasn't looking at me for that explanation, she was just looking down at the floor. I had a feeling that it was an extension of what she'd already told me about her family.

I unlocked my ancient iPhone 8 and handed it over to her. "Put your number in, and you can summon a chef whenever you like." Truly, I was surprised I never got her number before this, as I had every intention of staying in communication with her. I had a feeling we'd both vent a lot.

She took the phone and quickly started typing, then sent herself a message so she could have my number too. "You know I might text you at two in the morning, right?"

This time I made sure to look her in the eye. "You can text me any time. I'll make sure to give you a special ringtone. I'm not kidding either."

She nodded stiffly before smiling. "Thanks, Amber. Again. I think I'm going to say that a lot to you, huh?"

I just shrugged. "We probably both will. Now come on, let's make some burgers!"

That night started the remaining series of days before her family arrived. A bunch of days and nights where we would eat and cook together and enjoy ourselves with no worries. Work out and swim together. Even my monthly visit delayed itself a little so I was able to enjoy the pool more than expected. And every day we found ourselves back at Clementine's where we would each try new flavors. Oh yeah, we tried bunches. Banana, Butter Brickle, Peach, Pistachio, and everything else we could fit in was digesting happily, along with the giant cones they came in, down in our bellies.