Chapter 22

I didn't like the mood on the deck after the conversation, and I went inside to get a second piece of the pizza shortly afterwards. I ate this one at the kitchen counter, as I didn't really want to be near the others at the moment, and I could see Shay out there, leaning forward and speaking to them with her face screwed up in anger. I was happy that she didn't like the joking too and was still standing up for me.

I just hoped she didn't get in trouble for hitting her sister or the others, because she certainly looked like she wanted to kick their asses. For that matter, so did I, but I was trying to be good. I was a guest after all and shouldn't punch the hostess of the party in the nose. But if she tried more crap like that, I might not resist. Between the workouts I'd been doing, and the classes I'd been taking, including kickboxing with the new assistant manager, Amy, I was pretty sure I could stop the bullying if I had to. But it was still more effective coming from Shay who had a good six inches on me. I was still just a little over five feet tall, and not the most intimidating when everyone else was looking down at me.

Shay came in, then grabbed another piece of the pizza too. "I think they're getting ready to swim," she told me quietly, not even looking at me as she did. "I wasn't sure if you wanted to go with them."

I just frowned at her. Had they said more to her after I came in? "Are you okay? You know I'm here for you, not them."

"I'm good. You should swim." She started busying herself in the kitchen, consolidating the leftover pizza into a smaller number of boxes. Why was she acting like this?

"Shay, come on. Talk to me. What's going on? Did they say something else?" I didn't like it when she was this quiet, and I wasn't used to it. I really hated that I couldn't read her very well, but it was obvious that something had affected her. Did she get upset that I was outed like that? It wasn't like I'd ever hidden my sexuality. I'd been hit on by girls all last year, as had she, so it wasn't exactly a secret. "I don't care about them talking about me being into girls, so I hope that isn't bugging you."

She stopped, her back to me as she put the pizza boxes in the fridge. "Amber, I really don't want to talk about it. Just go swim or go home."

I just stared at her in shock, she'd never spoken to me like this, and I had no idea what caused it. "Shay, why are you doing this? What is happening? Come on, this isn't you. Please talk to me!"

"Amber, please! Just leave me alone!" she shouted, again without looking at me. 

Yeah, I wasn't sticking around to go swimming after being spoken to like that. "Fine." I just turned and walked out, got on my bike, and went home. I had no idea what was going on, but I didn't like being treated like that for no reason. Maybe she just needed a little time to cool off. At least I hoped so.

I felt numb as I walked into the house, and straight up to my room. I didn't know what to do or think about what had just happened, but I knew I didn't like it at all. We'd said from the beginning that nothing would come between us, but right now I wasn't sure I believed that it was true if simple teasing from the girls could prompt that response. I threw myself onto my bed and let the tears flow for a little bit. I was more angry than sad, and honestly, I wanted to ride back over to see Shay and yell at her.

But I didn't.

Her birthday was in just over a week, and I knew that I'd see her before then every time we rode to and from work. I already had her present, though I'd cheated to do it. Before the previous Christmas, a small chain of craft stores had done a buy one get one free sale on gift cards, and I'd bought a bunch. It had cost me $800 from my savings, but that meant $1600 in gift cards, which was more than enough to frame all of her larger pictures, or at least enough to be close. I gave her the first gift card back at Christmas, and I had enough for another four years of birthdays and Christmases covered. Hopefully, when she was finally able to get her own place, it would be a great way for her to start decorating it.