Chapter 70

"You know, we need to think of some baby names," I said absently while Amber lay atop me. We were doing just what I thought we would, which was relaxing with the fireplace going, and the doors to the balcony open to let us hear the surf. The fire was the only illumination we had, and we had made love in front of it several times before we stopped to relax. "Did you have any picked out?"

She hummed against my shoulder, then kissed my collarbone. "I have a few thoughts on that. Did you ever think of any?"

I sighed gustily, then shook my head. "No. Honestly, for a long time I never thought I'd have any. With you, I always wanted to, but I was so happy to just be with you that it never dawned on me that we might actually get there. Now, there's a little bean growing inside you, and I haven't even wrapped my head around names. But I know you, and I bet you have some good suggestions."

She giggled before lifting her head and looking down at me. "I've been thinking of names for our babies since you moved in with me. I didn't expect to need them so soon, but I have a bunch I like, so maybe you could help me pare them down."

I nodded at that and stretched a bit to give her a peck on the nose. "Okay, let's start with the easy one. Tell me the boys' names you picked out."

"You think those are the easy ones?"

"Of course," I told her. "I assume you would want to name a boy after your dad, or Reid. I don't know your dad's name though, but Reid Atkinson sounds pretty good to me." It was an educated guess, but I was pretty sure I was right, and she confirmed it.

"Yep. Reid was one. My dad's name was Daniel, and that would be the other one. Danny Atkinson could work too. I can't use Owen though, or he'd sound too much like Mr. Bean."

I chuckled at that, not having thought about Owen sounding like Rowan, and then squeezed her tight and gave her another soft kiss. "Both of those are good ones, I like them a lot. What about girls?"

She groaned and let her head flop down on my chest. "That is the hard one. I love Kenley, Shiloh, Gloria, Kate, and Harper, and any of those would work, but how can I pick one without upsetting the others? And as much as I love Amy and Lynn, I can't use them because they might want to when they have their own. But I think I'd like to just come up with our own, and that way our friends don't get jealous. Like, maybe Kendall Atkinson or Harmony Atkinson, even if they sound a little like Kenley or Harper."

"Princess, don't worry about them being jealous, okay? They all love us, and nothing we do will hurt that. If we have a girl, I think we could start with Harmony Katherine because it sounds like we can pay homage to both Harper and Kate. Kate and Gloria hired you and gave you an opportunity that really helped your life. And Harper, shit, if not for her I can't even imagine where we'd be right now." I shook my head ruefully, not even able to recount all the help that she'd given us over the years. If anyone deserved to have one of our kids named after her, it was that wonderful woman.

"Mmmm, I love that," she murmured, sinking back down on me and finding her place in the crook of her arm. "I knew it would be easy to figure these names out with you."

We lay there in contented peace for a few minutes before I had a nagging thought. "Princess? What if we have a baby like me?"

She lifted her head up, and gazed at me with her warm brown eyes, a smile on her face. "Then we'll have the most amazing kid to call our own, and they'll be thrilled to have a mother that can help them understand just how perfect they are. We can get all our kids tested if you're worried about that, but I did some reading when I first realized your secret, and it isn't supposed to be genetic."

I nodded quickly. "I know, but there is no definitive cause either, so you never know. I'd just like to plan ahead, you know?" I knew that Amber would love all of our children regardless of their gender, but I was still scared. I didn't want any child of mine to deal with what I did, though maybe having our support would help them grow up happier. I had a feeling that if I'd been loved more as a kid, I would have had a much easier time of it.