Chapter 62

The first semester of college had been stressful because it took a while to get used to it, and the brand new atmosphere, the second semester was stressful for very different reasons. First, every day of school was another day closer to Shay leaving for her internship in June. Second, I was working more than ever, trying to make enough money to cover the additional expenses we'd need while Shay was at that same internship. She was going to be paid, but she wouldn't have her job at the garage anymore, and I knew we'd have additional costs from her renting a place to stay, plus our travelling to see one another too.

Third may have seemed silly to some, but not to me. I still hadn't heard from the Only Fans girls, Jamie and Cody. I wasn't alone in the concern either. Jamie's online comments were blowing up with people asking if she was okay, and when she was coming back, and she hadn't posted anything in over a year now. I know, it seems odd for me to have been worried about someone I didn't even really know, but they had both helped me out and calmed my nerves when it came to being with Shay, so in my mind they deserved my concern. Heck, even Shay asked about them every once in a while, as she liked their videos too, and they'd given us some fun ideas.

Yes, some things were going well. Shay and I were still insanely happy, as were Lynn and Amy. Shay and her mom had started to reconnect more, though still not her father. We were doing great in our classes, with all of us getting good grades. Lynn was even doing well enough that she needed almost no tutoring this semester, so the additional studying was paying off. Amy was still offering her incentives, so that might have had something to do with it. When I asked for clarification on what that entailed, it turned out that Amy was always a top, and Lynn a very willing bottom, but if Lynn got an A on a test, Amy would let Lynn top her. Lynn always was excited about that, because she knew Amy wouldn't be doing that for someone she didn't love as much as she loved Lynn.

Another other bit of good news was news from Harper. Evidently, the parents of Nicky and Leigh had tried hiding money from the girls' trust funds in a prelude to the civil case, but Harper's financial forensic analysts found it, and the judge had ruled against the families and admonished them for even trying it, and we were finally ready for a trial at the end of July. Really, we were ready now, but there were no openings on the court docket before then. Unless the families decided to settle, and their only offers to this date had been laughable, then we would have to wait.

Harper had also heard that my mom was finally out of rehab, but even though I'd tried to text and call, she still hadn't answered. I wasn't going to give up though. Shay got her mom back, and I hoped I could get mine. But still, it was a positive step in her getting better, even if she didn't want to be with me. I hoped she'd change her mind, but I wasn't going to beg for her to do so. I'd talked to my therapist about it, and she agreed that based on the way things had ended between us, and my having already reached out to her, that the next move needed to come from her.

And it did, just not in the way I expected.

"Are you sure you have everything?" I asked Shay as we loaded up her pickup truck with the stuff she'd need at her new place. It was a furnished Airbnb that had a good extended rate for the next two months, and so all she really needed was clothes, toiletries, and her laptop. Everything else would stay with me until we figured out what and where her next job would be.

"Yeah, it should be pretty easy. I'll call you when I get there, okay? And I'll call you every morning, and then again, every night. We're going to get through this." She held me gently in her arms, then reached up with a thumb to wipe away some tears that I didn't even realize were leaking from my eyes.

"Okay," I choked out. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"I know, and I'll miss you too. But I'm coming back on Saturday morning, okay? So, it will only be a week. And then you can come up the next weekend and I'll be able to show you around the town." She was going to be staying in the town of Quincy, a suburb on the south side of Boston that had easy access to the subway to get into the city without dealing with the traffic that Boston is known for. Neither of us had been there before, and I'd only heard of it because I knew that Kate and Gloria's third gym was in Braintree, one town over from Quincy.