Chapter 64

"Did you get everything?" Shay asked after we put the last two boxes into the back of her truck. "Or is there more in the house?"

I nodded wearily, putting my hands on my hips. "Yep. The final walkthrough is done, and I don't think we can fit anything else anyway." We had bought a bunch of moving boxes and packed them up with all that we could. I'd taken everything I wanted, from all our clothes and toiletries, and the rolled up ice cream photos, kitchen utensils, pots and pans, lamps, all the Christmas ornaments and lights from the attic, random photo albums and pictures that I hadn't even known about, all the electronics, and all the plates and bowls. I'm sure there were other things we could use, like some lamps and small furniture, but we didn't have room to take it, even with Amy and Lynn helping by taking things up with the V Wagon too, and we wouldn't have room in the rental apartment anyway. We'd leave it all for whoever had bought the house.

As it was, we were going to have a caravan headed up, with the truck, the V Wagon and my motorcycle, and then we'd still have to unload everything. Shay assured us there was a good pizza place there, so we'd order that when we got there, and then the girls would have to head home. We'd been packing all weekend, so we'd all need a good sleep after this.

Lynn had been absolutely right about Shay. When I called her after I found out about the money, I hadn't even asked her about moving up there with her before she was almost demanding it. She was begging me to come live with her, so I didn't have to deal with the memories of Otis, or my mom. Yes, I'd lose the memories of my dad too, but I went and said goodbyes to him at the treehouse before we left, even taking a chunk of the tree bark in a bag with me as a memory, and I was hoping that some of the photo albums I was bringing had even more good reminders of better times.

Our friends on the cape had offered a lot of things, from places to stay to cash to help us out, but this time I mostly refused. I did have help from Harper, as she started looking into Louis and finding out about him being with my mom, and if he was her doctor. Plus I had help from Kate, who was kindly letting me transfer my job up to the Braintree location, though with the caveat that I take over the assistant manager job, because they hadn't had one there in three months. I'd been doing so well filling in for Amy and helping her out at our location, that she already knew I'd do great there.

Yes, we still had the best friends in the world.

I held Shay's hand as I looked back at the house one last time, just trying to fix it in my mind. I'd lived there all my life, and yet this would probably be the last time I ever saw it. Next week someone else would be living here, and they could make their own memories in the house that I grew up in. I really hoped they had a kid or two that could appreciate the tree house, but that was no sure thing.

"Come on," I finally said. "We need to get up there so the girls can head home at a reasonable time." That wasn't true, and Shay knew it. Lynn and Amy had both offered to stay in a hotel to make sure we got settled in, but we should have time for them to get home after we had the pizza. I was already feeling guilty for putting them out with the move. I really just wanted to go, because the longer I stayed here, the more I'd be upset and want to drive to Ohio to punch my mom.

"Okay. Just make sure you keep an eye on us, I don't want my princess to get lost." Shay gave me a little kiss before she got in the truck. Amy and Lynn were already in the V Wagon, parked in the street waiting for us, so we could get on the road now. Shay had wanted me to leave my bike at Amy's apartment, since Harper had told me she'd pick me up to bring me down for the lawsuit and I could ride it back, but I really didn't want to leave it. Besides, being alone on the road would let me get my thoughts sorted.