Chapter 66

"Pregnant?" I asked in wonder while looking into her tear filled eyes. "You're having our baby?"

She nodded, breaking into more sobs. "I am. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to mess everything up!"

"Oh, princess, you didn't mess anything up." Why would she think that? We most certainly were in love, and already engaged. We could handle a little one too, right? "This is wonderful news! I've wanted to have babies with you for a while now. Maybe we move our timing up a little, but everything is okay, I promise."

"But I just got the motorcycle, and I know I can't ride that pregnant or I'll make our little one a scrambled egg in there, and we can't live here, and I'll be all fat at work, and now I'll never go to college! We're just getting our lives together and things are finally looking up and I screwed it all up." By the end of all that, she was blubbering, and I just pulled her tighter into me, trying to calm her down.

It was a big step, and an unexpected one, to be sure. But we had been through a lot of others, and to me this was wonderful. Amber was going to be my wife, and we were going to have a kid together. Hell, hopefully even more once we were ready! "Amber, none of that is something we can't overcome. We can get you a nice car to be safe and save the bike till after our baby is born. We'll buy a house and make the treehouse, get married, and start our family. You can still take night classes, or online classes, and you already know work is equipped to deal with pregnant employees just based on how they adapted with Gloria. Plus, I only have to go to the office twice a week, so I'll be around to help a bunch too. Hell, all of our friends will be so happy for us! Every one of them will want to be the cool family friend and spoil the hell out of our kids."

"You're not angry?" she asked, her lower lip sticking out in a little pout. "I was afraid you would be."

"I'm not at all angry, Amber. I love you, and I can't wait to see what kind of beautiful baby we make together. Sure, it changes things, but in my mind only for the better. I bet we can talk to Harper and Kenley to see if they know a real estate agent, and we'll find a house not too far from your work, and near the train or ferry for me." I just hoped that this would all sink in and make her feel better about the situation. It was a shock to be sure, but a welcome one in my mind.

She sniffled a little more, then started to breathe a little easier. "I'm so scared. I love you Shay, and we've been through so much. I guess I just wanted to have a little time to relax with you and not worry, and now it seems like this is just another giant bump in the road."

I tilted my head, kissing all over her face, trying to get as many of her tears as possible. She was right, we'd been through a lot, and she'd had to deal with even more than I had over the years. We'd always planned to have kids, but we'd always discussed waiting a bit for them too. I had a job now though, and we had the money from the lawsuit for a nice down payment on a house. Even if Amber took time off to go to school online and have our baby, we'd be fine. I just wanted to find a way to keep her happy.

"You're going to be my wife, princess. We're going to have a beautiful baby, and we'll love it so much. I know we were going to wait, but we still have a lot of time to enjoy our life together. Plus, we will both love this little rugrat so much. Now we get to find a house, and then decorate it. We should plan a wedding and go on a honeymoon, or maybe even do the honeymoon first, it doesn't even matter. And never forget that we're not alone in this. We are loved, and our baby will be too."

She nodded, her eyes still leaking tears. "I know, I know. It just doesn't seem real. When I moved in here, it seemed like everything was going to be smooth sailing. We didn't even get a month of that before we had to deal with this. I'm gonna get big and fat!"