Chapter 7

"What in the hell is going on here?" screamed the man that was standing over Shay and I early the next morning. He was pretty tall and thin and would have been good looking, with a face that could easily appear in a toothpaste ad or something, if it wasn't twisted in anger as he bellowed at us with a shower of spittle flying from his mouth. 

I jerked upright, feeling Shay do the same next to me. "What happened?" Shay cried out, only half awake.

"You tell me!" the man yelled again. I could see a cute blonde girl and blonde woman staring at us from the kitchen. I had to assume this was Shay's family, home a day early. "We come home, and find you shacking up with a girl? Are you trying to fuck things up again? Haven't you done enough already?"

"She's a friend!" Shay screamed right back at him as she stood up. Maybe he wasn't so tall after all, as Shay seemed to be his height. "Am I not allowed to have a friend? You leave me here for two weeks and I'm supposed to just be alone? I didn't do anything wrong!"

"Everything about you is wrong! How can you put this family in jeopardy again?" he yelled again. I just sat there, my eyes wide as I wasn't sure what to do. Finally, her father looked over at me, and paused, then turned to the smaller girl. "Why don't you take the girl home so your sister and I can have a talk."

The girl? Did he really just call me 'the girl'? What an asshole! Truthfully, I just wanted to escape. I hated leaving Shay like this, but I couldn't be around this guy. I knew that her family was going to be bad, but this was ridiculous. Shay turned around and looked down at me apologetically, and just nodded.

"You should just go, I'm sorry," she said in a whisper.

"Yeah, I'll get her out of here," the other daughter spit. I wasn't sure if she was upset at me or Shay or both, but I didn't care.

I looked over at her to see her glaring back at me. I dropped my eyes and looked around the room, seeing clothes and other things I'd brought with me. I started grabbing everything and stuffing it into my duffel bag as quickly as I could. I saw Shay's dad grab her by the arm and drag her away while her mother pushed her along from the back.

Once everything was in my bag, I stood up and the sister grabbed me by the arm and escorted me out the front door, and out to the street. There was no point in going over the wall between the houses, and I really didn't want them to know I lived there.

"I can take it from here," I said as I tore my arm from her grip. "I don't need your help."

The girl, who I assumed was Lynn, just snorted. "If you were hanging out with my sister, you need a lot of help. Did you let her get in your pants? Are you a dirty dyke whore like she is?"

"What is wrong with you?" I asked, as I took a step back. "We fell asleep watching a movie, and just met. Is it that wrong to just have a friend?"

"She doesn't deserve a friend!" Lynn growled at me. "You're lucky we came home before she did what she always does, and just used you and tossed you away."

"Bullshit," I quickly retorted. "She was nothing but a good friend the entire time."

"Of course. And she probably told you we're all horrible, and that we left her here all alone because we don't like her. She probably never told you that the last time we brought her to my grandmother's house she tried to give her too many of her meds to kill her for the inheritance, right? And I'm sure she didn't tell you that she made us move because she fucked a teacher and we had to leave town over the scandal too. Did she mention that she would sleep with anything with a pulse? That she was the biggest player at our last school? Hell, just looking at your expression, I bet you would have bought it too."