Seeing Red

~

~

I'm sat quietly seething watching the tv when I hear the door finally unlock. She takes her time taking her coat and shoes off, and I can hear her sluggishly throw her keys in the bowl. It's odd because she usually calls out, or rushes in to wherever I am to wrap me in the biggest hug and shower me in kisses. She's quiet. My guess is she's probably guilty for not getting in contact.

I bite anyway. "What time do you call this, Styles?" I shout as I hear her walk down the hallway. The living room door opens and I don't move to look at her, happy to punish her by keeping my eyes on the tv. "Seriously, I'm pissed off." I add, fuming.  "I was sat worrying about you and I'm guessing your phone died again!"

I chance a look at her, giving her my best glare but it soon fades away at the devastation etching her beautiful face. She looks like she's been crying.

Panic rushes through me as I throw the blanket off me and rapidly get up to pull her into a bone crushing hug. "What's happened?"

She sighs as she squeezes me tighter, but doesn't respond. I worry as I pull back, my eyes scanning her body and her face. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"No, i'm not hurt I just—" Her voice cracks and she falls into me again, basking at being in my arms. She lets out a shaky breath. "I just need you."

"I'm here." I soothe, kissing the side of her head. "I'm here."

She pulls back and takes her phone out her pocket, completely smashed as she holds it up to show me. "Threw it against a wall. I'm sorry for worrying you."

"I don't care as long as you're okay?" I reiterate as I take the phone off her and place it on the coffee table. I nod towards it and ask, "Why did this happen?"

She sits on the sofa and pats for me to join her.

"My Dad's got in touch." She says after a beat, her eyes down. "Well, he's threatened to sell stories to the papers unless I meet with him."

This genuinely shocks me. "Seriously? He's got some nerve." I say, watching as her jaw clenches. "Do you think he wants money?"

"Probably." She shrugs her shoulders at me, an empty look in her eye. "I don't even care at this point. I've not see him in eight years, but he's come out the woodwork for a reason."
She runs a hand through her hair. "I don't want him in my life, Le." She adds through gritted teeth.

I sit impossibly close to her and hold her hand. "You don't have to see him, you can turn him away." I try to reassure.

"He's put me in a bit of a position." She winces, "He knows I won't want him selling lies to the press, so I've got no choice really." I feel her give my hand a squeeze as she gives me a small, reassuring smile. "I'll be ok. It just brought back a lot of old hurt."

I lean forward and give her a chaste kiss. "It's ok, I've got you." I say as we pull back. "When are you planning to meet?"

"Tomorrow."