A Christmas Carnage

"Izzy!" Leah laughs as the car jolts again. "Oh my God. You can't keep stalling like this." Another car honks behind us as Leah tries to hide her laughter behind her hands. "I'll drive!"

"You've had a glass of champagne." I mutter as I change the gear and the car makes an ungodly noise again. "Your car hates me."

"So much for having the self proclaimed 'magic touch'." She rasps back and although I don't look I can practically hear her smug smirk.

The car eventually starts co-operating with me as we speed up to a healthy 30mph. "There we go." I say beaming as I pat the steering wheel. "Good girl."

Leah clears her throat and adjusts in the passenger seat. I take a quick glance at her and smile at the look on her face.

"What's that look for?" I ask whilst still smirking, already knowing the answer.

"Just... you saying that is hot in any context." She breathes out all flustered. "Even to the car."

"Oh, Miss Williamson." I taunt back as I indicate to switch lanes. "Shame I'll be all night without you."

"Stop it." She giggles and reaches across to place her hand on my thigh. I raise my brow but stay focussed on the road as she leans even further across her seat towards me. "Please come out with us."

"Baby!" I laugh as she squeezes my thigh. "It's your team's Christmas party." I try and protest, but she looks like she's having none of it. "You should spend time with them. Plus, no one else's partners are going. I can't just show up."

"I spend so much time with them! And that's a technicality, because some teammates are dating, so technically some partners are showing up." She all but whines which makes me grin. "They would love if it you came! You charm everyone in the room." She pouts for extra effect. "Come on."

"Nope." I answer breezily as I merge onto the motorway. "I'm your driver tonight." I punctuate with a salute as she shakes her head with an adoring smile.

We spend the rest of the journey chatting and laughing, whilst also completing a perfect run of  Beyoncé's 'Heated' that has us celebrating like Leah's won the world cup.

I end up pulling into the carpark around the back of the pub. "Here we are." I announce while Leah checks her makeup in the mirror and adjusts her hair as I turn the engine off. I turn in my seat and admire her. "You look beautiful."

She blushes as she mirrors me in her seat and gestures to her jumper. "Even in this?" She asks with a smirk as the christmas pudding sparkles on her jumper.

"Especially in that." I say as I reach forward and thumb the material, it feels even softer when she's wearing it. I poke her lightly on her chin and smile. "Enjoy yourself tonight. Just text me when you want picking up but if you end up staying out late, ring the number I gave you and a driver will get you and the girls."

She reaches out and puts her hand on my cheek which I immediately lean in to. "I won't stay out late." It's adorable she means it, but it's only going to end in drunken chaos. She caresses my cheekbone with her thumb. "I'll miss you too much."

"Famous last words. Beth's already told me she plans to ply you with shots." She giggles as I take her hand and kiss the back of it. "Be safe?"

"Will do." We lean in at the same time and kiss softly. "I love you."

"I love you too." I lean in for another kiss. "And have fun. You deserve it."

"Please get home in one piece." She says as she pulls back from my lips, nervously glancing around the car.