Part 18 ~ 5 Years Old

A few months later and a lot had happened, His father passed due to conflict, him and George have been hanging out almost every day, He got help and Dream had also finally agreed to become the next king.

Many of the other rulers had tried to convince him that he couldn't ignore this sort of responsibility.

"But I don't want that." Dream had said again, and again the rulers had told him that it wasn't his choice.

Eventually, he let his frustration get the better of him. "Why does it have to be me?" He asked, and the question hung in the air for a moment.

"Because you are the only son." One of the rulers said slowly. "The throne is yours, whether you like it or not. And it is your duty to lead our kingdom in this time of war."

"Duty..?" Dream asked softly, but it sounded more like a challenge than a question.

The rulers stayed quiet for a moment, and then one of them spoke up again.

"Dream.. Do you think a king should be irresponsible? Should a king allow the fate of our kingdom to be determined by his own feelings?"

Dream stayed silent for a moment. Then, he sighed. "No, no.. I suppose he shouldn't, alright?"

"But.. Does that mean I'm supposed to sacrifice my own happiness for this kingdom?" Dream asked.

"If that is what is required of you, then.. yes." One of the rulers said slowly.

Dream shook his head and he seemed frustrated. "But, that's ridiculous.. I just.. I don't even want to be king. The whole thing is absurd."

"It may be," the ruler said, "but this is what you were born into."

Dream was quiet for a moment, and then he seemed to calm himself down.

"Look.. I do care about the kingdom. If I have to be king.. then, well, I won't like it, but I'll do it."

Another ruler nodded slowly, and then he began to speak.

"That's... Good enough, for now. We will make preparations for your ceremony. In the meantime, you'll need some guidance." The ruler said.

Dream stayed quiet, but he managed a small nod in response.

George came into the throne room and he walked up to Dream.

He was silent for a moment, but then he spoke up again. "It seems our rulers have decided.. you need to be king."

"I know." Dream said quietly, and he tried not to sound annoyed.

"Well.. I'll be here to make sure you don't die, um.. before the ceremony, at least." George said, and he seemed determined. "And.. I'll be with you during it."

"That's really not necessary.." Dream said, but George just ignored him.

"No," George said more firmly.

Dream stayed quiet for a moment, but then he sighed. "I said I'm fine."

George stayed silent for a moment as well, and then he shook his head. "No, I'm not going to leave you alone in a time like this. Not when you're this vulnerable."

"Well, alright.." Dream said, and he sounded slightly annoyed.

George was silent for a moment, and then he nodded.

"Well, anyways.. I should probably get you back to your room. The rulers are waiting for you over there, they.. they want to make some preparations for.. for the celebration."

"Yeah.." Dream said quietly, and he seemed distracted.

"Are you okay..?" George asked.

Dream was quiet for a moment, and then he took a deep breath. "I'm fine. Honestly, I'm just.. I'm just a bit tired."

"I.. I know how stressful this can be, but we'll get through it." George said calmly.

"I hope so.." Dream said, and then he sighed again. "I really was not expecting to become king."

George nodded slowly. "But.. you're going to make a great king."

"Are you sure about that?" Dream asked, and he sounded a little bit unsure of himself.

"Yes, Dream. I am sure. You'll do great, and.. I'll be here for you."

"Thanks, George." Dream said, and he managed a small smile.

"Now, I should get you back." George said, and he started to walk down the hall.

Dream followed him, and they were silent for a few moments.

"So, we have about a month, right?" Dream asked quietly.

"Right.." George said. "It'll come up quick."

"Will there be a lot of food.." Dream asked suddenly, and he looked up at George.

"Of course." George said, smiling. "Your coronation will be quite the thing."

"I'm not a big fan of all the attention.." Dream said quietly, but George just laughed.

"Too bad, then.. I'm sure you'll be the talk of the town."

Dream was silent for a moment, and then he seemed to relax a bit.

"Anyways, just make sure to eat some of the food okay? You shouldn't skip meals." George said, and he glanced at him.

"Yeah, yeah.." Dream said, and he sounded a bit annoyed. "I'm not five, George."

"I mean.. It's true, though." George said, and he still sounded amused.

Dream rolled his eyes, but he didn't say anything more.

"I mean, not that you are.. Five, or.. I'm not saying you are." George said quickly.

Dream frowned slightly. "No, but you're saying I act like I am.."

"Yeah, I guess I am." George said, and he laughed again.

"What's so funny?" Dream said, and he sounded annoyed again.

"Nothing, nothing." George said quickly. "I just.. I mean, okay, yes. You do act like a five-year-old sometimes."

"What?!” Dream said, and he sounded annoyed.

"Well.. It's true. I mean, come on. No grown man acts that way."

"I'm not acting like a five-year-old! I'm just.. being me, alright?"

"If you say so.” George shrugged. "But still, you have to eat. Okay?”

Dream stayed silent for a moment, and then he sighed again.

"Alright.. I'll.. I'll eat something, alright?"

"Good," George said, and he smiled slightly.

They reached Dream's room, and then George opened the door.

"Here, go on in. I'll give you some time to settle."

"Alright, thanks." Dream said quietly, and then he walked into his room.

Dream closed the door and sat down on the bed.

He took a deep breath, but then he just stayed still for a few moments.

A couple of minutes later, there was another knock on the door.

"Yes, George?" Dream said, but there was no response.

"George.." Dream said again, but there was still no response.

He stood up and he went back over to the door. "George, are you alright?" He asked. "Is everything okay?"

Still, there was no response.

*