The Day The World Fell

a/n - yo! i recently finished twd and i love it, so here we are. mason grimes is rick and lori's firstborn son. they had him when they were twenty, making him sixteen. you can choose how he looks on your own but he's rick's height. also, i'm going to do short chapters that lead up to the fight at the prison, and then it'll be somewhat continuous.

——————————————————————————

The bell rang and I immediately grabbed my bag.

"Yo! I'll meet you in the cafeteria. I gotta make a quick call first." I said to my buddy Jason as we walked out of class.

I headed to my locker and grabbed my phone out of my bag. Sophomores aren't supposed to have their phones out during the day but whatever. After pocketing my phone, I walked into the bathroom and pulled it back out. I clicked on my mom's contact and put the phone up to my ear.

"Hey, mom."
"Mason? Aren't you supposed to be in class?"
"Nah, I'm on lunch. What're you up to?"
"I'm just cleaning up at home. Why? What's going on?"
"Have you... heard anything from the hospital? About dad?"
"No, honey. Nothing yet. But soon, okay? Your dad he's... he's a tough guy."
"Yeah, alright. I gotta go. Love you."
"I love you too, honey."

I hung up and took a deep breath. Dad got shot while working, so he's been in the hospital for a few days and he hasn't woken up. But Mom's right. He's a tough guy. I splashed some water on my face and left the bathroom, when I heard some screaming.

"The fuck..?" I said under my breath as I followed the screaming.

A bunch of students were looking out the front doors of the school and when I went to take a look, what I saw was... horrific.

The people on the sidewalk were getting attacked by... other people? They were getting tackled and eaten alive. Quickly after, the schools alarm went off and teachers tried to pull us away from the doors. The flesh eating people ran towards the doors of the school, banging on them.

Then I felt my phone ring in my pocket. It's Shane.

"Mason! Thank god you answered. Where's your mom? Your brother, Carl?"
"I... Shane..? There's people.. eating other people... outside."
"Buddy. Focus on me, alright? Where is your mom and brother?"
"Yeah, alright okay. Mom's at home and Carl's at school."
"I need you to listen to me good. I'm gonna go get your mom but I need you to pick up Carl."
"But the monsters outside... they're-"
"I know. You can outrun them. I'll meet you at Carl's school."

And right before I could say anything, the line cut out.

"Fuck." I said to myself.

As everyone was moving away from the doors, I ran to the emergency exit.

"Mason! Yo, Grimes!" I heard a voice behind me. I turned and saw Jason running up to me.
"Jason!" I said.
"The hell are you doing, man?! You're gonna go out there?" Jason said.
"I gotta pick up Carl." I said.
"Shit.. right. Alright. I'm going with you." He said after a moment of thinking.
"What? Just stay here." I said to him as I kept making my way to the emergency door.
"Fuck that. You're my best friend. I'm going with you." Jason said and I took a moment to think.
"No time to argue. Come on." I said as I slowly pushed the emergency door open.

We slowly left the school through the door. The streets were filled with the groans of the zombie-looking people as they roamed around the street.

"Oh shit shit shit." Jason whispered as he looked at them.
"Keep quiet. We gotta move around them." I whispered.

Carl's school is a twenty minute walk from mine. I just hope that these walking dead people haven't made their way to him yet.

As we tried sneaking or way around, Jason stepped on some broken glass and that alerted the dead people.

"Shit. Run! RUN!" I shouted and we started bolting. But there were way more of these things the further down the street we got.

Jason tripped and fell, busting his knee.

"Shit. Jason!" I said as I noticed him trying to get up. I ran over to him and tried to help him up.
"I'm just gonna slow you down. Go! Go get Carl!" Jason said as he pushed me away.
"Fuck no! Come on!" I said as I tried helping him up again but again, he pushed me.
"Just go dude. Let me be a hero." He said with a sad smile.
"You fucking idiot." I said as tears welled up in my eyes.
"I love you, man. If you find my family, tell them I died a hero." He said as tears fell down his face.
"Jason.. don't be stupid." I said but the dead people got close and closer.
"I'll see you in the next life man. Remember to keep fighting." He said as those things got to him and started ripping out his organs, eating them with no remorse. His shouts filled the streets. And then they turned to me.

"Shit!" I said as I wiped my tears and ran away, towards Carl's school.

I ran for another fifteen minutes when I was across the street from the school. It had been overrun by those things.

"Carl.." I said softly, as I was about to start crying.
"Mason! Come on! Get in!" I heard a voice shout from the street adjacent to me and saw Shane in his jeep with Carl and Mom. I smiled and ran towards them, hoping in the back.
"Holy shit. I thought you didn't make it." I said as I hugged my younger brother and then hugged my mom.
"We're okay, honey. We're okay." Mom said.
"Hold on!" Shane said as he stepped on the gas and drove off.

"What about Dad?" I said after a moment of relief.
"He... He didn't make it." Shane said. I looked over at Carl who started crying and I pulled him into another hug.
"It's okay. It's okay." I said, trying to console him since he's the youngest here.

Shane drove us out of Atlanta but we got stuck on a massive traffic jam on the freeway.

And in the distance we saw the city. Tons of explosions going off. Tons of planes flying towards the city.

This is the day that the world changed. This is the day that the world fell.