Sick

A few minutes later, we heard T-Dog. Beth had gone back to cutting Hershel's pants with Maggie.

"Food's here." He said as Carl opened the gate. T-Dog and Dad carried tons of food in their hands.
"Where's Daryl?" I asked as they set the food down.
"Stayed with the prisoners to make sure they don't try something." T-Dog said and I nodded.
"Any change?" Dad asked as he set some big bags down.
"Bleeding is under control and no fever. But his breath is labored and his pulse is way down." Mom said. I grabbed the handcuffs from Dad's belt.
"Just in case. We can't take any chances." I said as I held the cuffs. Dad nodded and walked away with Mom. Glenn walked over to me and let out an understanding sigh.

The both of us walked over to Hershel's bunk. Carol was already there, constantly keeping an eye on him. I put the cuffs around one of his wrists and the bedpost. Maggie walked back into the cell.

"What's going on?" She asked me with fear in her eyes.
"Just being careful." I said, as sympathetic and gentle as I can be.
"It's just a precaution." Carol said.
"You think maybe I could have a minute alone here?" Maggie asked followed by a large sigh.
"Sure. Of course." I said.
"Yeah, you want me to-?" Glenn said but Maggie shook her head.
"No, just by myself." Maggie said to him. We nodded and the three of us left the cell, leaving Maggie and her father alone.

-----------

Dad had left with T-Dog to go deal with the prisoners and setting them up with a cell block. There was nothing to do here but wait around. All of us were just watching Hershel while Carl was supposed to organize the food. I asked if he wanted some help but he said no.

We heard a gate open. Glenn and I looked over and saw Carl walking towards us with a bag in his hands.

"I thought you were organizing the food?" I said, confused as to what Carl had and where he got it from.
"Even better. Check it out." Carl said as he dropped his bag into the cell we were all in which had a bunch of medicine, gauze, and all kinds of medical supplies. Maggie gasped as they started to look inside the bag.
"Where did you get this?" Mom asked.
"From the infirmary. Wasn't much left but I cleared it out." Carl said and I already knew he was in a world of trouble with Mom.
"You went by yourself?" Mom asked and I put a hand up to my forehead.
"Yeah." Carl said with confidence.
"Are you crazy?" Mom said.
"It's no big deal. I killed two walkers." Carl said.
"You shoulda taken me with you. Not go off on your own." I said.
"You-- all right, do you see this? This was with the whole group." Mom said, motioning to Hershel.
"We needed the supplies, so I got them." Carl said, sounding annoyed.
"I appreciate that, but--" Mom said but Carl raised his voice.
"Then get off my back!" Carl said.
"Carl!" Beth shouted to my surprise.
"She's your mother. You can't talk to her like that." Beth said.
"Listen, I think it's great that you wanna help--" Mom said but before she could finish, Carl walked out of the cell.
"I'll talk to him." I said as I walked out of the cell, following the sound of footsteps.

------------

The more we wait, the more it feels like Hershel's never going to wake up.

Until he did.

Dad, T-Dog, and Daryl came back. Hershel slowly opened his eyes. We were all relieved and happy to see Hershel alive. Beth gave Maggie a big hug before walking over to me and doing the same.