Beside the Dying Fire

More and more walkers kept coming. Dad, Carl, and I, got trapped in the barn. We lured as many walkers as we could inside before climbing up onto the scaffolding and setting the walkers on fire.

A bunch of our cars were driving around the field. Jimmy came towards us in an RV. We used it to jump onto and out of the barn but Jimmy didn't make it. They swarmed him.

"You and Carl get out of here. I'm gonna go back to the house for Mom and Beth." I said.
"Mason-" Dad said.
"No. I'll be fine. Get Carl away from these freaks." I said as I grabbed my handgun and knife. I ran back towards the house, slicing and shooting any walker that tried to get close.

I saw Mom running towards a car with Carol, Patricia, and Beth. I ran towards them but before I got close a few walkers got a hold on Patricia. Beth was still holding her hand and wouldn't let go.

I ran over and grabbed Beth.

"Come on! You gotta let go!" I said, practically yanking Beth away.
"Mason?!" Mom asked before running towards me.
"Carl and Dad are fine. I'm gonna go grab anyone else who's left behind." I said without giving Mom any time to argue as I ran off, back towards the house. Mom and Beth yelling my name as I ran.

I heard screaming and ran towards it. Carol was getting cornered. She held up a wooden plank to a couple of walkers but I shoot them before they got too close.

"Come on! Let's get out of here!" I shouted to Carol and she ran over to me.

Daryl was on his motorcycle nearby.

"Daryl! Grab Carol and get out of here!" I shouted and he nodded. Carol ran over to him and got on his motorcycle before they drove off.

My lungs were starting to kill me but I wouldn't slow down. I ran towards the last bit of gunfire. I saw Hershel with Dad and Carl right in front of the house.

"Mason?!" Dad shouted. I ran straight towards them.
"Mom got in a car with Beth and T-Dog. Carol and Daryl are gone. Think I saw Maggie and Glenn leave too." I said as I ran to them.
"Well so are we. Come on." Dad said. The four of us got in the last car and drove off the farm.

----------

Dad drove us back to the same highway that we were on a few months ago, hoping that everyone'll think to do the same. No one was there but us. We decided to hold our ground in case anyone else was here. Eventually, we heard a motorcycle get closer with the rest of our cars right behind it.

It's our people.

Everyone got out of their cars and hugged their loved ones.

"Where'd you find everyone?" Dad asked Daryl.
"Well, those guys' tail lights zigzagging all over the road. Wouldn't have made it out alive if it wasn't for your boy there. He got a bunch of us out of the farm." Daryl said as he pointed to me. Beth got out of the hug with family before walking over to me and giving me a tight hug and not letting go.
"Where's the rest of us?" Daryl asked Dad.
"We're the only ones who made it so far." Dad said.
"Shane?" Mom asked, her eyes flickering between Dad and I. Him and I exchanged a glance before shaking our heads.
"Andrea?" Glenn asked.
"We saw her go down." T-Dog said.
"Patricia?" Hershel asked. Beth lifted her head up from the hug and looked at her dad.
"They got her too, took her right in front of me. I was-- I was holdin' onto her daddy. She just--" Beth said before putting her head on my chest and sobbing softly.
"It's alright." I whispered as I held her tight.
"What about Jimmy?" Maggie asked.
"He was in the RV. It got overrun." Dad said and Beth's sobs got a little more intense as she held me close.
"You definitely saw Andrea?" Carol asked.
"There were walkers everywhere." Mom said.
"I'm going back." Daryl said as he almost got onto his bike.
"No." Dad said.
"We can't just leave her." Daryl said.
"We don't even know if she's there." Mom said.
"There's no way she's still there. She's gotta be somewhere else or she's dead." I said.
"So we're not even gonna look for her?" Glenn asked.
"I wasn't saying that, I just-" I said but Dad interrupted me.
"We gotta keep moving. There have been walkers crawling all over here."
"I say we head east." T-Dog said.
"We stay off main roads. The bigger the roads the more walkers, like this asshole here. I got him." Daryl said as he shot an arrow at a walker that was creeping up to us.