Cherokee Rose

Carl woke up and he's much better. All he has to do now is rest, which means the rest of us are back on the search for Sophia.

Hershel, Dad, Shane, Daryl, Andrea, and I were standing by the hood of a car.

"How long's this girl been lost?" Hershel asked.
"About three days now." I said.
"County survey map. It shows terrain and elevations." Maggie said as she walked over and spread out a map on the hood.
"This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organized. We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Dad said.
"Not you. Not today. You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't ve hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out." Hershel said to Dad before turning to Shane.
"And your ankle— Push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody." Hershel said.
"Guess it's just me. I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there." Daryl said.
"I could still be useful. I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back." Shane said.
"Alright. Tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right." Dad said.
"That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them." Shane said.
"I'd prefer you not carrying guns on my property. We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp." Hershel said.
"All due respect, you get a crowd of those things wandering in here..." Shane said with a scoff.
"We're guests here. This is Hershel's property and we'll abide by and respect the rules he's got set in place." I said before taking my handgun out of the holster and placing it on the car. Dad nodded and did the same with Shane reluctantly following.
"First thing's first. Set camp, find Sophia." Dad said.
"I hate to be the one to ask, but somebody's got to. What happens if we find her and she's bit? I think we should all be clear on how we handle that." Shane said.
"You do what has to be done." Dad said.
"And her mother? What do you tell her?" Maggie asked.
"The truth." Andrea said.
"I'll gather and secure all the weapons. Make sure no one's carrying till we're at a practice range off site. I do request one rifleman on lookout. Dale's got experience." Shane said.
"Our people would feel safer. Less inclined to carry a gun." Dad said and Hershel slowly nodded. Shane and Daryl walked off.
"I'll talk to Carol tomorrow. Worst comes then, I'll tell her too." I said. I noticed Hershel look at Maggie and shake his head but I didn't say anything.
"That stuff you brought, got more antibiotics, bandages, anything like that?" Maggie asked.
"Just what you've seen." Andrea said before walking off.
"We're running low. I should make a run into town." Maggie said.
"Not the same place that Shane went?" I said.
"No, there's a pharmacy just a mile down the road. I've done it before." Maggie said.
"You should take Glenn with you. He's the expert in doing supply runs. Best we got." I said while pointing to him a few yards behind us.
"If that's all right with you." Dad said to Hershel who motioned for Maggie to go ask Glenn.

Sure, Glenn's our best. But I've seen the way Maggie and him look at each other. There could be something else there and what kind of friend would I be if I didn't help them get together?

I walked over as Maggie walked away from Glenn. She said she was going to saddle up a horse for Glenn.

"Horse?" Glenn turned to me.
"You saw her when she grabbed my mom, think she'd rather use a car?" I said with a smile.
"Who told her to ask me? Was it Rick?" Glenn asked.
"Nah, it was me." I said and Glenn stuttered over his words.
"Relax. I've seen the way you look at her. In this world it's hard to connect. Thought I'd lend a hand." I said and Glenn smiled.
"You're a good dude." Glenn said.
"I try. But thanks. Let me know how your little date goes." I say as I softly punch Glenn in the shoulder and walk away.

——————————————————————————

T-Dog and Dale walked over to a couple of us and said that there's a walker in the second well. We walked back with them and opened the well cover.