There's Nothing Left Anywhere

The next morning those of us who woke up first were sitting at the same table we ate at last night, eating breakfast.

"Morning." Dad said as he walked to the table.
"Are you hungover? Mason said you'd be." Carl said with a smirk to himself.
"Mason is right." Dad said as he sat beside Mom. I smiled as I nudged Carl and continued eating.

"Eggs. Powdered, but-- I do them good." T-Dog said as he walked over to us with a scrambled egg filled pan. Glenn groaned from his hangover as more and more of our group made their way to the table and sat down.
"Protein helps the hangover." T-Dog said as he put some of the eggs on all of our plates.
"Where'd all this come from?" Dad said as he held a small bottle of aspirin.
"Jenner." Mom said.
"Could you help me, please?" Dad said as he handed the bottle to Mom.
"He thought y'all could use it. At least, some of you." I said with a smile as I looked over at Glenn and his hangover state.
"Don't ever ever ever let me drink again." Glenn said.
"I will hold you to that." I said with a chuckle.

"Hey." Shane said as he walked in.
"Hey. Feel as bad as I do?" Dad said. I glared at Shane as he walked over to grab a cup of coffee.
"Worse." Shane said.
"The hell happen to you?" T-Dog said as he noticed the scratch marks Mom left on his neck.
"Musta done it in my sleep." Shane said as he sat down.
"I've never seen you do that before." Dad said.
"Me neither. Not like me at all." Shane said as he looked at Mom.

"Morning." Jenner said as he walked in and we all greeted him back.
"Doctor, I don't mean to slam you with questions first thing--" Dale said.
"But you will anyway." Jenner said as he poured himself coffee.
"We didn't come here for the eggs." Andrea said.

——————————————————————————

Jenner led us back into Zone 5. The room with all of the computers. It's time we got some answers as to what the hell has been going on in the world.

"Give me playback of TS-19." Jenner said as he turned on one of the computers and the wall became a big screen.
"Playback of TS-19." The computer voice said.
"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few." Jenner said as a brain scan appeared on the big screen.
"Is that a brain?" Carl said.
"An extraordinary one. Not that it matters in the end. Take us in for E.I.V." Jenner said.
"Enhanced internal view." The computer said.

The brain scan was flipped to the side and zoomed in. All the way to the neurons.

"What are those lights?" Shane said.
"It's a person's life. Experiences, memories. It's everything. Somewhere in all that organic writing, all those ripples of light, is you-- The thing that makes you unique. And human." Jenner said.
"You don't make sense? Ever?" Daryl said.
"Those are synapses. Electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. They determine everything a person says does or thinks from the moment of birth to the moment of death." Jenner said.
"Did you bring us all down here for a biology lesson? That what this is?" I said.
"This is the playback of a person's brain." Jenner said.
"This person died? Who?" Andrea said.
"Test subject 19. Someone who was bitten, infected, and volunteered to have us record the process. Vi scan forward to the first event." Jenner said.
"Scanning to first event." The computer said as a black and dark red mass started growing inside the brain.
"What is that?" Glenn said.
"It invades the brain like meningitis. The adrenal glands hemorrhage, the brain goes into shutdown, then the major organs, then death. Everything you ever were, or ever will be. Gone." Jenner said as the brain got completely covered in that same black mass.
"Is that what happened to Jim?" Sophia asked her mom.
"Yes." Carol said to her daughter.

Andrea started to tear up as she thought of Amy.

"She lost somebody two days ago. Her sister." Mom said to Jenner.
"I lost somebody too, I know how devastating it is." Jenner said before turning to the computer and telling it to scan to the second event.