Nebraska

there's a lot of dialogue in this chapter so bare with me.

Dad and I were standing by the car waiting for Glenn so we can head out and find Hershel.

"You know what I found out yesterday?" I said to him.
"What's that?" Dad asked as he was putting bullets into his revolver.
"My birthday passed. Few days ago." I said.
"That so? Happy birthday, kiddo." Dad said.
"Doesn't feel so happy." I said and Glenn started making his way towards us with a shotgun in his hand. Maggie stopped him to give him a quick kiss.
"Ready, lover boy?" I said to Glenn.
"Yeah." Glenn said as he walked over and sat in the backseat. I got in the passenger's and Dad got in the driver's.

——————————————————————————

It was a silent drive until we got into town. I looked back at Glenn.

"You alright?" I asked.
"Maggie said she loves me." Glenn said and my eyes widened.
"Lucky you, then." I said.
"She doesn't mean it. I mean, she can't. She's upset or confused, I mean, I-" Glenn said sounding as if he didn't want to believe it.
"I think she's smart enough to know what she's feeling." Dad said.
"No, no." Glenn said which made Dad and I laugh
"No, you know what? She wants to be in love, so she needs something to- to, like- to hold onto." Glenn said.
"Dude, it's pretty clear to everyone that Maggie loves you. And not just because you're one of the only guys around. So, what's the big deal?" I said.
"I didn't say it back." Glenn said.
"Huh." Dad said.
"I've never had a women say that to me before except my mom, of course, and my sisters. But with Maggie, it's different. I mean, we barely know each other. What- What does she really know about me? Nothing. We're practically strangers. But I, I didn't know what to do with it. I just stood there like a jerk." Glenn said.
"Hey. Hey, this is a good thing, something we don't get enough of these days. Enjoy it. And when we get back return the favor, it's not like she's going anywhere." Dad said.

We made it to the town and just as we were about to get out of the car, Glenn said something.

"Guys? I know about Lori, her being pregnant. I got her those pills." Glenn said.
"Yeah, we know." I said as we got out of the car.
"I'm sorry I kept it from you." Glenn said.
"No, don't be. You did what you thought was right. It just so happens it wasn't." Dad said. Glenn looked at me.
"I wouldn't worry about it." I said.

——————————————————————————

We found the bar. I kicked the door open and we had our guns in hand just in case, but we put them down when we saw Hershel sitting on a bar stool.

"Hershel?" Dad said as we put our guns away.
"Who's with you." Hershel said without turning around.
"Glenn and Mason." Dad said.
"My daughters sent them?" Hershel said.
"They volunteered. They're good like that." Dad said as we walked towards Hershel. Dad walked and stood beside Hershel while I stood across from him on the other side of the bar.
"How many have you had?" Dad said.
"Not enough." Hershel said.
"How about we head back home, yeah? Beth collapsed. We think she's in some state of shock, or something. You might be too." I said.
"Maggie's with her?" Hershel said.
"Yeah, but Beth needs you too." I said.
"What could I do? She needs her mother. Or rather to mourn. Like she should've done weeks ago. I robbed her of that. I see that now." Hershel said.
"You thought there was a cure. Can't blame yourself for holding out for hope." Dad said.
"Hope? When I first saw the both of you running across my field with Carl in your arms, I had little hope he would survive." Hershel said.
"But he did." I said.
"He did. Even though we lost Otis. Your man Shane made it back and we saved your boy. That was the miracle that proved to me miracles do exist. Only it was a sham, a bait and switch. I was a fool. And you people saw that. My daughters deserve better than that." Hershel said as he downed his drink and started pouring some more.