Food

Daryl and I kept our weapons aimed at the prisoners.

"Who the fuck are you?" I said to the prisoners.
"Who the hell are you?" They said back.
"He's bleeding out, we've gotta head back. Come around here. Put pressure on the knee. Hard! Push, push!" Dad said to Glenn and Maggie as they stayed with Hershel.
"Why don't you come on out of there? Slow and steady." Daryl said to the prisoners as they slowly walked through an open doorway.
"What happened to him?" The long haired prisoner said.
"He got bit." Daryl said.
"Bit?" The long haired prisoner said as he took a small revolver out of his waistband and pointed at me.
"You better put that thing down if you don't want anyone to get hurt." I said.
"You have medical supplies?" Glenn asked as he walked passed the prisoners and into the room they were hiding in. Walkers caught up to the door we locked and started banging on it.
"Who the hell are you people anyway?" The long haired prisoner said.
"Don't look like no rescue team." The blonde prisoner said.
"If a rescue team is what you're waiting for, don't." Dad said as him and Maggie began to pick up Hershel.

Glenn grabbed a metal cart from the other room and wheeled it over so they could lay Hershel on top of it.

T-Dog opened the door and killed the walker that was on the other side. The others wheeled Hershel out while Daryl and I walked out backwards with our weapons still aimed at the prisoners until we were out of the room.

The prisoners loosely followed us but we were able to wheel Hershel back to the cellblock we had cleared and taken over.

"OPEN THE DOOR! HERSHEL'S HURT!" I shouted as Carl ran over and unlocked the door, letting us in. Beth screamed for her father.

We wheeled Hershel into an empty cell and moved him onto a bed. While Carol and Mom were tending to Hershel, I walked back into the main room of the cell. Daryl and I walked back to the next room which is the only place the prisoners could come from. And just like we thought, they did.

Our weapons were trained on them once more.

"That's far enough." I said as they slowly walked into the room.
"Cell block C. Cell four -- that's mine, gringos. Let me in." The long haired prisoner said.
"Today's your lucky day, fellas. You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia. You're free to go." Daryl said.
"What you got going on in there?" The long haired prisoner said.
"None of your fucking business." I said.
"Don't be telling me what's my business." The long haired prisoner said as he pulled his gun out of his waistband.
"You better put that away cause I got no qualms with painting these walls with your blood." I said as I pulled the hammer down on my pistol.
"Chill, man. Dude's leg is messed up. Besides, we're free now. Why are we still in here?" The tall prisoner said.
"Man's got a point." Daryl said.
"Yeah, and I gotta check on my old lady." Another prisoner said.
"A group of civilians breaking in to a prison you got no business being in -- got me thinking there ain't no place for us to go." The long haired prisoner said.
"Why don't you go find out." Daryl said.
"Maybe we'll just be leaving." The blonde prisoner said.
"Hey, we ain't leaving." The long haired prisoner said.
"You sure as shit ain't coming in neither." I said.
"Hey, this is my house, my rules. I go where I damn well please." The long haired prisoner said as he raised his voice.

"Hey, everybody relax. There's no need for this." Dad said as he walked over with his machete in his hand.
"How many of you are in there?" The long haired prisoner said.
"Too many for you to handle." Dad said.
"You guys rob a bank or something? Why don't you take him to a hospital?" The long haired prisoner said.
"How long have you been locked in that cafeteria?" Dad asked.
"Going on like ten months." The long haired prisoner said.
"A riot broke out. Never seen anything like it." The tallest prisoner said.
"Attica on speed, man." The blonde prisoner said.
"Ever heard about dudes going cannibal, dying, coming back to life? Crazy." The shortest prisoner said.
"One guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria. Told us sit tight, threw me this piece, said he'd be right back." The long haired prisoner said.
"We were thinking that the army or national guard should be showing up any day now." The tallest prisoner said.
"There is no more army." I said, my gun still trained at them.
"What do you mean?" The tallest prisoner asked.
"There's no government, hospitals, or police. It's been gone for a while." I said.
"For real?" The blonde prisoner said.
"For real." I said.
"What about my moms? My kids? And my old lady?" The prisoners muttered to themselves.
"Yo, you got a cell phone or something that we can call our families?" One of the prisoners stepped forward.
"You just don't get it, do you?" Daryl said.
"No phones, no computers." Dad said. Daryl and I exchanged a look before slowly lowering our weapons.
"By the looks of things, at least half the worlds been wiped out. Maybe more." I said.
"Ain't no way." The long haired prisoner said as he also slightly lowered his gun.
"See for yourself." Dad said.

----------

Dad, Daryl, and I led the prisoners outside. They walked into the courtyard and we followed behind.

"You never said, how the hell did you get in here in the first place?" The shorter prisoner said.
"Cut a hole in that fence over there by that guard tower." Daryl said.
"That easy, huh?" The shorter prisoner said.
"When there's a will, there's a way." Daryl said.
"So what's this like? A disease?" The taller prisoner said as he poked a dead body with a stick.
"Yeah. And we're all infected." Dad said.
"What you mean, infected? Like AIDS or something?" The blonde prisoner said.
"If I killed you right now with a bullet to the chest, you'd come back as one of these things. It's gonna happen to all of us sooner or later." I said.
"Ain't no way these robin hood cats are responsible for killing all these freaks. Where'd you come from?" The long haired prisoner said as he stared at Dad and I.
"Atlanta." Dad said as the prisoner slowly walked up to us.
"Where you headed?" The long haired prisoner said.
"You're standing in it." I said as I turned to face the prisoner.
"Guess you could take that area down there near the water. Should be comfortable." The LH (LH=Long hair) prisoner said.
"We're using that field for crops." Dad said.
"We'll help you move your gear out." The LH prisoner said.
"That won't be necessary. We took out these walkers. This prison is ours." Dad said.
"Slow down, cowboy." The LH prisoner said.
"You snatched the locks off our doors." The short prisoner said as he walked up beside the other.
"We'll give you new locks if that's how you want it." Dad said.
"This is our prison. We were here first." The LH prisoner said.
"Locked away?" I said with a chuckle.
"We spilled blood for this place. Set you free when we coulda put you all down. This place is ours." I said.
"We're moving back into our cell block." The LH prisoner said.
"You'll have to get your own." Dad said.
"It is mine. I've still got personal artifacts in there. That's about as mine as it gets." The LH prisoner started getting upset as he quickly took his revolver out of his waistband and was about to point it at us before the blonde prisoner and Daryl intervened.
"Woah woah. Maybe let's try to make this work out so everybody wins." The blonde prisoner said.
"I don't see that happening." The LH prisoner said.
"Neither do we." I said.
"I ain't going back in that cafeteria for one more minute." The LH prisoner said.
"There are other cell blocks." The blonde prisoner said.
"You could leave. Try your luck out on the road." Daryl said.
"If these three pussies can do all this the least we can do is take out another cell block." The LH prisoner said.
"With what?" The tall prisoner said.
"Atlanta here will spot us with some real weapons. Won't you, boss?" The LH prisoner said. Dad stayed silent for a second so I spoke up.
"Not for free. How stocked is that cafeteria? Figure it must be packed for five of you to survive for almost a year." I said.
"It sure as hell don't look like anybody's been starving." Daryl said.
"We're taking half. In exchange, we'll help you clear out a cell block." I said.
"Didn't you hear him? There's only a little left." The short prisoner said.
"Bet you got more food than you got choices." Dad said.
"You pay, we'll play. We'll clear out a block for you, then you get to keep to it." Dad said.
"All right." The LH prisoner said.
"But let's get one thing straight— if I see you out here and around any of my people- If I even catch a whiff of any of you, I will kill every single one of you." I said as I got into the LH prisoner's face.
"Deal."

——————————————————————————

As we walked inside Dad turned to me.

"I need you to stay with the rest of them." Dad said as he meant back to our cell block.
"What? Why?" I said.
"Beth needs you. So does Carl, and your mother. Tell T-Dog to meet us." Dad said and I was trying to think of an argument but he was right.
"Yeah, you got it. Be careful in there." I said as I walked back to our cell block.

Maggie and Glenn were hugging while everyone else was in the cell with Hershel.

"How is he?" I said and they let go of their hug and turned to me.
"He stopped bleeding." Glenn said and I felt a weight on my shoulder leave that I didn't even know I had felt.
At the sound of my voice, Beth walked out of the cell. She stared at me for a second before walking over and clinging herself onto me.
"Hey. It's okay, baby. It's gonna be okay." I whispered as I hugged her back.
"Glenn, can you tell T-Dog to go meet my dad in the cafeteria?" I asked Glenn and he nodded. T-Dog quickly left the cell block.
"I was.. cutting his pants so he won't trip." Beth whispered.
"Even in the face of danger, you're still as smart as can be." I said and she let out a huff of air as she smiled. Carl walked out of the Cell and joined the hug.