7

Steve's days began to roll into one - a mixture of overseeing the general running as well as getting stuck right in. He found himself helping to build the new barn for the cattle as it kept him away from the main area of the ranch - and also Elsa.

The pair avoided one another at all costs and so far it had worked. He'd be up at 5am sharp, help the ranch hands, go back to drink his morning coffee (Elsa would be awake and already training her horse by then), then he'd have to go over to his parents ranch, tie up any loose ends when it came down to business and so on.

It was never ending , but at least he was as far from the Rollins girl as much as possible. And yes, he was going to call her a girl, because for one, she was a hell of a lot younger than he was. No matter whether she was an adult or not, she acted like a damn child at times.

"Where you going in such a hurry?" He asked one morning as she came out of her room and stormed past him.

"Out". Came the snappy reply, and grabbing her keys - she headed off in her truck to god knows where. Probably a bar if he knew her well enough already.

Steve simply shook his head, making for the study so he could continue the task of going through Wyatt's paperwork that he'd left as well as finishing off un-boxing his own crap to put in there.

Opening the desk drawers he'd not yet gone through - some of the accounts could be shredded as they were years old, however on opening the last one, he was met with a look into some private moments of the Rollins. Family photos and a few other personal things. There were barely any of Wyatt, Elsa, and Jack - most were old, but something caught his eye under the pictures that certainly wasn't..

A belt buckle...and not just any - it was literally a prize from a Rodeo. The winning prize at that - and it was from this year? There was no way Wyatt would have been taking part in rodeos at his age. Jack however? It was probably a possibility. He was surprised that the guy was actually good at something.

He noted the picture that had been under it, a recent one of Elsa. His brow furrowed more as he looked at it. She was actually smiling in it, he'd never once seen her looking as happy as she did in the photo, standing with her horse.

And on her belt...

He looked at the buckle, and then at the picture again. It was the very same...

Getting up, Steve knew that if he was caught snooping then Elsa would put a bullet in him - but he wanted any form of clarification that he could take. Opening the door to her room, he noted how neat and tidy it was. A couple of other buckles sat atop of the dresser, stating the place and date that she'd apparently won them.

On her wall, a calender that had a few things scrawled on a couple of dates, one of which was a rodeo happening within the next week. He took his phone and snapped the date. Googling where it was taking place.

He was going to see for himself whether Elsa Rollins was just as good as it apparently seemed. It made sense considering she trained horses, but a rodeo champ? Part of him was still sceptical. She could've stolen the damn things for all he knew. That was the more likely answer.

Either way - it seemed that she was hiding more than just about her father.

**

"I still don't know why we're here..." Bucky said as he and Steve took their places in the spectator stands a week later. "I got shit to do man, Sam could burn the fucking place down while we're gone for all I know".

"Sam's fine". Steve rolled his eyes as they sat there. "There's something I wanna find out about".

Bucky frowned. "You wanna go into rodeo?".

"No". He replied.

He'd seen Elsa leave with her horse trailer very early that morning, before the ranch-hand's were even up. He'd dragged Bucky away from the morning's work - telling Sam to take over while they were gone.

"Once again, I'm gonna ask - Why. Are. We. Heeeeeeere?" Bucky huffed while slapping his hand onto his thigh on the last three words, still not having received an explanation.

"Just shut up and watch". Steve replied, taking a sip from the beer that he'd brought.

Eventually, it began, Steve watching intently before it was then announced that Elsa was the next contestant. "Fuck off, that's why we're here?" Bucky's head whipped round to him, a little outraged that he was being made to sit through something that involved a Rollins.

"Shut up". Steve held up a finger to silence him as it was announced that Elsa was the current reigning champion, as well as the only female to have participated over the last few years.

"Bronc riding? She's a fucking bronc rider?" Bucky hissed. "and a champion one at that? Did you know about this? Well obviously because you dragged me here".

Steve's eyes were now on the woman who was easing herself onto the horse. "Just watch..."

Her hand lifted to signal for the gates to be opened and the horse bolted out as they did. Bucking around as the timer now counted up to eight seconds. All the while, Elsa held on, her body manoeuvring against the horse until the buzzer sounded and she jumped from it - another rider now coming out to lead the horse back in as the crowd cheered.

Steve slowly clapped as he watched Elsa run off after punching the air in victory. She'd lasted over eight seconds and that? It was impressive, something he never thought he'd say about her.

The man who was sitting next to them was cheering and clapping for her. "That woman sure knows how to ride! Watched her first one a few years back - she puts those guys down there to shame".

"You know her? Steve asked as Bucky muttered he was gonna get another drink.

"Everybody knows Elsa - and so they damn well should!" The man said and extended his hand for Steve to shake. "Phil Coulson".

"Steve Rogers".

Phil nodded at this. "You here for her too?"

"Wouldn't say for her, but I know her - thought I'd come see just how good she was". He said, trying to make up an excuse that didn't make him sound or look like a stalker.

"She's great - guys here always try something but she can handle herself. Mainly the newcomers. The regulars know where the line is drawn. She's a nice girl".

"And the only girl, so I heard?

Phil nodded. "Yep. Stuff like this is mainly male dominated but I think she's wanting to change that - I'm one of the organisers. The other, Nick is who's really in charge. When Elsa first came in and said she wanted to ride? The guys laughed at her - but Nick and I? We let her".

"Why?" Steve frowned.

"She was determined. That alone was what got her, her first win. The guys who's laughed? They were all speechless, but then suddenly were round her like bloodhounds. If it was respect she was looking for? Then she sure got it that day. Since then she's kept on coming back, and there you have it". Phil explained.

Steve thought for a moment. "You know anything else about her?"

He was met with a shake of the head. "She don't talk about herself. Even if she does is vague. I know her dad recently died a couple of months back though - told me she was riding for him today".

"Well...she certainly did. Thanks". Steve got up and went to find Bucky, who was waiting by the truck with another beer. "Let's go before she sees us".

Once they were out on the road, Bucky looked across to Steve. "Well...you find out anything from that guy you were talking to?"

He nodded, eyes still on the road but his mind reeling.

"Yep...sure did".