III

THE AUDITION

THE AUDITION

Mijako paused hesitantly at the threshold of the shadowy establishment, her grip on the audition notice betraying a nervous tremor

Mijako paused hesitantly at the threshold of the shadowy establishment, her grip on the audition notice betraying a nervous tremor. The building's aged brickwork was emblazoned with the notorious "Carnal" logo, a promise of forbidden pleasures. Sounds of lively music and mirth pulsated through the edifice, setting Mijako's heart racing.

With a fortifying inhalation, she sauntered to a less conspicuous side entry and heaved open the formidable door to step within. She was immediately enveloped by a miasma of tobacco and cannabis fumes mingling with the scent of leather and alluring perfumes. Her eyes roved tentatively over her surroundings, catching glimpses of sequestered alcoves concealed by sumptuous red velvet hangings.

Recognizable local figures—affluent businessmen, policy-makers, people of clout—were interspersed among the secluded booths and lounging by the bar. Encountering their gazes, Miijako felt the dormant allure of her inner temptress begin to awaken, itching to captivate her audience.

Navigating towards where the audition would take place, Miijako's sight fell upon him: the suave man whose presence graced both bar and soirée before. He engaged in effortless banter with a ravishing burlesque artiste while nursing what appeared to be an extravagant scotch. Their dialogue dwindled as he noticed Mijako; his deep-set eyes ensnaring hers with an intense and perturbing familiarity.

The chance encounters now tallied thrice, adding a shade of destiny to her romantic notions despite their cryptic nature. But her purpose here was clear—this audition demanded her concentration. Images of her impending performance played out in her thoughts.

"And now next up for Auditions we have Silhouette," announced a willowy figure, cuing Mijako toward center stage.

The rules of this try-out were straightforward—a random melody selected by the DJ that each aspirant must embody through dance.

Adapting was merely one of the numerous talents she owed to the grace of Aphrodite.

Her heartbeat quickening, she ascended the stage with elegance and positioned herself before a towering pillar. Her ears caught the sound of applause rising as all gazes were drawn to her form and visage. She was an ethereal vision, enrapturing every beholder.