VI

GAZING DANCE

GAZING DANCE

As the sun descended below the horizon, its warm, golden glow enveloped the city, casting a mesmerizing spell

As the sun descended below the horizon, its warm, golden glow enveloped the city, casting a mesmerizing spell. Mijako returned to the strip club for her evening shift, greeted by the familiar mingling scents of perfume and sweat. The rhythmic thump of the bass pulsed through the air, resonating deep in her chest as she pushed open the door.

Entering the dimly lit locker room, she entered a realm rife with anxious anticipation. Her fellow dancers, adorned in various stages of undress, diligently primped and prepared themselves for the upcoming night of work. Brushes danced gracefully across faces, high heels clicked elegantly on the tiled floor, and laughter reverberated amidst the hushed exchanges of gossip.

"Hey Honey," she greeted a passing girl, barely breaking her stride before reaching her own locker.

Before Mijako could shed her day clothes entirely, Siraj made a striking entrance into the locker room — a tall, imposing figure impeccably dressed in a sleek black suit. This was an unusual sight, as he rarely ventured into the sanctuary of the dancers.

His presence sent a ripple of excitement and tension through the room, momentarily silencing conversations and captivating the attention of all. "Mijako," his deep voice resounded, "could you join me in my office? Immediately."

Nervously, she glanced up at him, her heart racing, and quickly nodded before slipping on her final shoe.

"You alright?" a concerned voice whispered beside her.

Mijako remained wordless, unsure of her own state. Without uttering a single syllable, she hastened after Siraj down the dimly lit corridor that led to his office. The growing buzz of curious whispers from behind faded into faint echoes with each step they took.

Back in the locker room, inquisitive voices flitted around like hummingbirds, exchanging speculations about Mijako's sudden summons.

"I wonder what he wants from her," one dancer nudged another in anticipation.

"Perhaps she's in for a promotion," suggested another with a hopeful tone.

"Or maybe she's in trouble," chimed in someone with a hidden gleefulness.