XXXI

THE ACT

Mijako's heart pounded in her chest as she and Siraj hurriedly approached the grand entrance of her family's stately home. The massive doors towered overhead, an ominous omen of the urgent situation that awaited them inside.

Before they could knock, the door swung open to reveal her mother's frantic gaze. "Mijako, Siraj! Thank heavens you're here," she exclaimed, grabbing Mijako's arm and pulling the pair inside.

"What happened?" Mijako demanded, masking her excitement with a feigned expression of concern.

Her mother recounted the terrible events of the past few hours - how an attack on her father had left him without an eye and badly injured. As despicable as his actions had been in the past, Mijako felt a perverse sense of satisfaction wash over her. She had always wanted some form of justice for what he had done to their potential family, and this seemed like it was just the beginning.

As they entered the dimly lit drawing-room, Mijako's eyes met those of Lady Kya, wife to another one of the city's renowned dons. "My poor dear," Lady Kya exuded false sympathy as she embraced Mijako.

"Thank you," whispered Mijako in reply all while maintaining her facade.

Siraj, who had been silently following them so far, finally spoke up amidst the murmurs. "How did it happen?" He feigned innocence, but those familiar with his true nature would recognize that twisted gleam in his eyes as he relished in the thought of bringing such misfortune to a man who once thought himself untouchable.

Mijako's mother was pale with worry as she described the attack in great detail. Siraj listened attentively but strangely enough seemed unfazed by it all – a stark contrast to everyone else present. The calculating smile beneath the veil of deep concern was known only to Mijako as her mother explained how her father had been ambushed and brutally maimed.

As everyone struggled to maintain their composure and sought answers for the attack, Mijako couldn't help but feel a sense of relief and gratitude. The days of her father's tyranny and abuse seemed to be nearing its end. Seeing him in such a vulnerable state symbolized the change she had long yearned for.

Later that night, Mijako and Siraj stood alone on the balcony overlooking the now quiet courtyard. The moonlight illuminated their faces with an eerie glow as they whispered together.

"You enjoyed that, didn't you?" Mijako asked Siraj, knowing that her words were woven with twisted satisfaction.

Siraj chuckled darkly. "You're quite perceptive," he said, his voice laced with equal parts pride and amusement. "But let's not forget how you felt when you heard of your father's misfortune."

"I'm just glad someone finally put him in his place," Mijako replied defiantly while ignoring the chills that ran down her spine when confronted with Siraj's true intentions.

And so, as Mijako and Siraj stood on that balcony, sharing dark secrets within the shadows cast by moonlight, it was clear that a storm was brewing in their lives - one that would shake the foundations of their world and bring forth revelations neither could have anticipated.

Their eyes glanced furtively at each other, their breaths heavy from the weight of the sinister idea that had taken root in their hearts.

Mijako's eyes narrowed, her gaze darting around to ensure no one was within hearing range. Once satisfied with their secluded location, she leaned towards Siraj and began to whisper hurriedly. "Siraj, are you certain about this? Once we set this plan in motion, there's no going back."

Siraj nodded grimly, determination etched across his face. "I know it's a risk, Mijako. But for us to be together and escape the clutches of your wretched family, we must be bold."

Mijako hesitated for a moment; her heart was racing with fear at their impending course of action. She took a deep breath and nodded in agreement. "Alright then. We need to ensure every step is meticulously planned." She looked down at the piece of parchment in her hand that bore the details of their devious scheme.

"First," she continued, "we need to deal with my father, though whoever did that to him, has definitely helped our cause. As head of our family, he carries the authority and has been a major obstacle for us." Mijako paused as memories flooded her mind - countless instances where her father had tried to keep them apart.

"I've arranged for a discreet apothecary to prepare a slow-acting poison. I can slip it into his wine during dinner," Siraj said confidently. "It will mimic a natural illness without arousing suspicion."

Mijako nodded approvingly before moving onto the next family member on her list. "My mother...she has always been perceptive and suspicious by nature. We must be careful around her."

Siraj rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Perhaps we could arrange a mysterious accident. An untied saddle, perhaps? A tragic fall during her routine horse-riding excursions would draw no attention."

"So be it," agreed Mijako, her voice cold and steely.

As they continued plotting the demise of each family member, the moonlight reflected off their whispered words like a malevolent dance of darkness. They dissected the routines and weaknesses of their kin, finding cruel ways to exploit them - all in the name of love.

Suddenly Mijako shook her head, laughing sinisterly. "Actually.... No"

"First," she whispered ominously, "we will kill Lola."

The shock on Siraj's face shifted quickly to understanding as he glimpsed at the endless torment hidden behind her eyes.

"I have devised a way to use this demonic creature to bring about Lola's destruction," Mijako continued, her lips curling with sadistic pleasure. "Aphrodite's powers are irresistible. I will exploit her abilities and cast a spell on Lola so powerful that she will be driven to take her own life."

Despite himself, Siraj shivered at Mijako's wicked intentions but remained silent. His silence spurred Mijako on, intoxicating her with the depth of her own malevolence.

"But her death will not be enough," Mijako gloated. "Lola's funeral will offer an unparalleled opportunity to eliminate my entire family." She paused for emphasis before detailing the next phase of her plan.

"I want you to get that lethal poison for me, one that is quick-acting and leaves no trace behind." As Siraj nodded in agreement, she continued, "During the funeral, while everyone mourns and sobs over their precious Lola, I will poison their drinks - a fitting tribute to their dearly departed."

Mijako smirked triumphantly at the notion of her family collapsing one by one, each member succumbing to her wicked revenge. Siraj stared at her in a mixture of awe and horror, wondering what other possible terrible deeds had brought this once innocent girl to such a darkened state.

"But remember, Siraj," Mijako cautioned, "this must be done discreetly. When all is said and done, I will have my revenge, and no one will ever know the truth and the Nirotti's will be no more."

Bowing his head in submission, Siraj vowed to carry out his part of Mijako's twisted scheme with skill and precision. With an air of finality, Mijako extinguished the flickering candle light casting shadows on her twisted grin as darkness billowed and enveloped the two co-conspirators and their vile intentions.