Chapter Eleven : Broken Promises

Sabrina had never been one to enjoy the seasons. In London, she rarely had the time to pay attention to the leaves changing colors or the snow melting away. But here at Hogwarts, she truly felt that there was no more beautiful a place to experience life than in this magical castle.

"What do you look like?" Ominis asked her suddenly, breaking the comfortable silence between them as they sat and enjoyed the spring air from the Astronomy Tower. "I just realized that, in all this time I've known you, I've never asked."

The girl leaned forward on the metal beam in front of her as her feet dangled off the tower. "How would you be able to understand if I told you?" Sabrina asked curiously.

Ominis hummed. "I suppose I'll just have to try and make sense of it myself."

Sabrina nodded in quiet understanding. "What do you want to know?"

"What color is your skin?"

"Pale. Sebastian teases me all the time that it looks like I never go outside."

Ominis chuckled. "What about your hair?"

"Brown. Although..." Sabrina pondered her next words.

"Although?" Ominis turned towards her slightly.

"When I first came to Hogwarts, I thought my hair was almost black."

"Why would you think that?"

"We only took a bath at the orphanage once a week."

Ominis swallowed nervously. "I'm sorry... I didn't know."

Sabrina nudged him gently with her shoulder. "You wouldn't have. I'm okay, truly."

Ominis turned back towards her. "What color are your eyes?"

"Dark brown." Sabrina smiled as she thought of it. "Josephine used to tell me that they reminded her of chocolate."

"Chocolate?" Ominis nudged back. "Now I really wish I could see them. I wonder if they look as sweet."

Sabrina blushed and felt herself getting flustered. "Well... they're not as beautiful as your eyes," she replied. "Your eyes look like the warm sky on a clear summer's day."

It was Ominis' turn for his face to turn a shade of pink. "You're much too kind."

They both got quiet again, but it wasn't stifling or uncomfortable. It was a silence that both Ominis and Sabrina enjoyed. Something that only belonged to them.

"One day, I would like to take you with me to meet Sister Margaret," Sabrina said after a while. "She would love to meet you."

Ominis hummed in agreement. "I would love that. I promise one day to accompany you."

"No, no promises," Sabrina said rather quickly.

"Why not?" Ominis asked gently.

Sabrina took a deep breath. "Promises are always broken. Especially when they're made to me."

She felt a warm hand engulf hers, and when Sabrina looked up she saw that Ominis had leaned closer to her slightly. Her heart skipped a beat.

"I never break my promises," Ominis said, lowering his voice softly just for her.

Ominis didn't come to dinner that night. All afternoon, Marvolo's words continued to play in Sabrina's mind, and the more she thought about it the more things started to make sense.