Chapter Twenty-Eight : Yearning

Sabrina had always felt like the winter holiday was the best time of year to be at Hogwarts. The castle always went above and beyond with its decorations, from the trees to the holly wreaths, and even to the constant sound of Christmas carols from the ghosts that echoed throughout the halls as students passed by. To top it off, the ceilings had been enchanted to make it seem like it was snowing inside, thus calming Sabrina's anxiety as she stared at the beautiful magical snowflakes falling into her porridge.

It was so strange. A year ago, Sabrina had been completing trials for the Keepers and fighting with Sebastian and Ominis. About what, she couldn't even remember. And now she was making plans to spend Christmas with Minerva and Theo.

Her parents. She was spending Christmas with her family. Good Lord, that would take some getting used to.

"I am glad to be finally getting out of the snow this year," Natty said as she ate her breakfast with Sabrina. "Last year was much too cold."

"If you're not used to it, I'm sure it's troublesome," Sabrina agreed. She wasn't really eating, but instead was playing with her spoon around the bowl. "But it will be nice for you to see your family."

"Yes," Natty said. "Even if my uncle has smelly feet and my grandmother likes to complain to my mother about everything wrong with me."

There was a hint of bitterness in Natty's voice that didn't escape Sabrina's perception. She was just about to ask what was making Natty so upset when they were interrupted by Anne Sallow's angry screams of her own.

"Sebastian Thomas Sallow! Just stop!"

Sabrina looked up, hearing the angry voices coming from just behind the Great Hall's doors. She and Natty stood up and quickly ran out to see what the commotion was, and were met with Anne's angry red face as she tried to march away from Sebastian. Aurelia was standing next to Anne with a red face of her own hiding behind her hands..

Sebastian desperately reached out to grab his sister. "Anne, wait–"

Anne quickly pulled her arm away. "DON'T TOUCH ME WITH THOSE FINGERS! I already know where they've been, I don't even want to think of where else you put them!"

"Look, we didn't think anyone would be out there!"

"You couldn't think of doing it in a more private place?"

"What is going on?" Sabrina asked as she tried to settle down Anne.

Behind Sebastian, she saw Poppy running into the hall looking windblown and disheveled. In fact, even Sebastian was looking like he had just barely put his clothes on. "Anne, I'm sorry, we didn't mean to–" Poppy began.

"Sweet Poppy, I don't blame you." Anne diverted her gaze back to her twin brother. "I blame my brother who apparently has turned into a perverse little git!"

"Anne, c'mon! What is so bad? You and Aurelia are doing it!"

"Not in public, you daft bimbo!"

Aurelia gasped silently and turned her face away from Anne. It was here that Sabrina noticed that she was trying to stop herself from laughing.

Then Sabrina put the pieces together.

Both Poppy and Sebastian were now looking like they wanted to hide in a hole.

"Sebastian, you didn't...." Sabrina finally said in disbelief.

"It wasn't anything that crazy," Poppy mumbled as she avoided the looks and stares from everyone else. "We just...."