Chapter Forty-Seven: Changes

"My, it is such a beautiful day out."

"That it is," Theo agreed with his wife as he pulled her in by her waist. "London is really not that bad of a place."

Sebastian and Anne came up and took their arms excitedly. "We're so thankful you brought us on this trip," Anne exclaimed.

"We feel so fortunate to be included," Sebastian added.

Sabrina watched the scene and felt a stab in her heart. The way the Sallows were being so friendly with Minerva and Theo made her feel uneasy and uncomfortable.

"You're part of the family!" Minerva smiled at them. "Now, let's go. We have to reach the train before it leaves."

The group then turned and began walking down a dark alley, away from the bright bustle of the city and towards a part of town that was older and unfriendly. Sabrina had been here before but... where?

"And there it is!"

Sabrina looked up and froze. St. Joseph's Orphanage looked even darker and more suffocating than she remembered it. "What are we doing here?" she demanded.

No one paid her any attention until they were finally in front of the gate. "Here's your stop, Sabrina."

The girl felt ready to hyperventilate. It was here Sabrina finally noticed herself. Where her parents and the Sallows were dressed in fancy silk traveling outfits, Sabrina was wearing a thin plain cotton dress like the one she had been made to wear at the orphanage. She looked down and saw her hands were covered in soot, and her hair color was darker and grimy looking.

When Sister Mary walked out towards the gate, Sabrina turned to her mother. "No, you can't!"

"My sweet girl," Minerva spoke, her words as haunting as ever. "I know this is a lot. You never asked for this. And I'm so, so sorry that I have to do this. But this is for the best."

"One day you'll understand," Theo added. "But they'll take good care of you here."

"No, please!" Sabrina screamed. "They'll kill me!"

"It will be fine. And don't worry about us. We'll have the twins to look after. And Ominis."

Sabrina looked up and finally noticed her boyfriend standing with the twins, who were smiling triumphantly at her. "Ominis," she called out. "You can't. Please don't leave me!"

Ominis' face was stoic and emotionless. "Perhaps now I can finally move on and live my life," he said. "Someone like me wasn't meant to marry a pauper."

Sabrina tried to run towards him, but she felt the cold, harsh hand of Sister Mary on her shoulder pulling her back. "You impudent girl! You are unnatural, you are wicked! It's no wonder your mother is leaving you again on your doorstep!"

As she said that, Minerva turned her back to Sabrina and walked towards Theo and the others.

"No, wait, please don't leave me!" Sabrina screamed again.

"Now we can start over," Theo smiled. "With the family we've always wanted."

Minerva put a hand on Ominis' cheek, oblivious to Sabrina's cries. "We'll do anything for you children. Now, let's get going."

"MUM! DAD!" Sabrina was wailing and fighting to go after them, but Sister Mary's touch prevented her from doing so. "STOP! PLEASE! COME BACK!"

Finally, Minerva turned back to Sabrina and gave her one last smile. "Goodbye, sweet girl. Stay in the dark where you belong."