Chapter Thirty-Three : Hope To Die

TW: Mentions of abuse and death. 

-----

When Sabrina walked down to breakfast the next morning, she heard her parents in the kitchen speaking in hushed tones. She paused before walking inside, straining to hear them.

"Are you sure it has to be tonight?" Minerva asked, turning to Theo.

Theo sighed. "It's the only time I can do it."

"I know, but it's Christmas Eve. It's the first Christmas we have with Sabrina."

Sabrina felt her heart ache as she heard a chair scrape against the floor. "It really shouldn't take that long, dear."

Minerva sounded exasperated. "Does it have to be you?"

"Be honest, Minnie, do you trust anyone else to do it?"

"No, but–"

They immediately stopped when they heard Sebastian and Anne walking down the steps. Sabrina walked in with them and saw that her parents looked nervous and even scared. Theo was drumming his fingers against his leg, and Minerva was having a hard time standing still. "Is everything alright?" Sabrina asked.

Theo cleared his throat, trying to maintain composure. "Of course. I was just telling your mother that it looks like I'll have to work a bit tonight. I got a special assignment from the Ministry that they need me to look into immediately."

"Oh," Sabrina responded, trying to sound upset. "And it has to be tonight?"

Her father smiled softly. "I shouldn't be too long. I'll be home before midnight for sure."

Minerva looked up. "I'll come with you–"

"The hell you will."

"Theo, I can help you. I've always been stealthy, and with me there your chances of succeeding are better."

This was beginning to actually concern Sabrina. "What is this assignment?"

Theo looked over at the teenagers, ignoring her question. "And what about the kids?"

Sebastian spoke up then. "We were actually thinking of heading to Hogsmeade for a few hours tonight," he told them, lying convincingly. "We sort of had an old tradition with Ominis where we would go have a butterbeer at The Three Broomsticks for Christmas. We know he's not with us this year, but we were hoping we could still go. So if you two have work to do, don't worry about us."

"We can take care of ourselves for a bit," Anne added.

Sabrina looked back at her mother. Minerva was obviously very anxious and nervous about whatever they had to do, but she also seemed very determined to not let it go. And it gave Sabrina and the twins the perfect excuse to disappear for a few hours to grab Ominis. She had no idea how she would explain how Ominis and Corvina were suddenly there at their house in Upper Hogsfield, but she figured she would come up with that lie later.

Minerva met her daughter's gaze before she approached her, placing her hands gently on her cheeks to cup her face. "Are you sure you're okay with us going for a bit tonight?"

Sabrina smiled back and put her hands over her mother's hands. "I promise. Just be safe, and we'll see each other tonight for Christmas Eve."

Sebastian sighed as he straightened his tie in the mirror at Gladrags."I cannot believe our luck," Sebastian exclaimed before he put on his jacket. He examined how he looked just as his sister walked out of the dressing room. "God damn, Anne, you look amazing."