Chapter Sixteen : Away From Prying Eyes

Sebastian had done some really bad things with major consequences before, but he was very, very certain he had never hurt Ominis as badly as he had that day.

Anne had grilled Sebastian as soon as their morning classes were over. She immediately noticed that Ominis was not with him when he walked into Defense Against the Dark Arts, and the mortified look on Sebastian's face had her instantly thinking the worst. However, he said nothing and focused on avoiding her gaze. How could Sebastian tell his sister how badly he had fucked up this time? He felt like he was going to be sick.

He was sure that neither Ominis or Sabrina were going to speak to him ever again.

When the twins made it back to the common room, Anne followed Sebastian to his empty dorm and started her questions again. "Start over. After you left Charms with Ominis, what happened?"

Sebastian ran his hands through his hair and slammed down his school bag. He felt like he was still shaking from that morning, and the sick feeling never left his stomach. "I took him down to the Undercroft," he explained. "And he told me that Marvolo threatened to go after Sabrina if they learned Ominis was spending time with her."

Anne was pacing as she listened to him. "I can't believe they would manipulate him like that!" She thought for a moment as she put pieces together. "Poor Omi, no wonder he's been trying so hard to avoid her. So, you went into the Undercroft, and he told you about Marvolo... he must be hurting so much."

Sebastian nodded. The look on Ominis' face when he told him about his family and his feelings for Sabrina tugged at his heart fiercely. But it didn't compare to the heartache and despair he felt when she saw Sabrina's tear stained face. Just thinking of it filled Sebastian back with agony.

"I wonder where he is now." Anne was still pacing.

Sebastian sat down at his desk and tried to keep his fingers busy by flipping through a nearby book. "Well, since he's not here, I imagine he's still in the Undercroft."

"Why did you just leave him there?"

Oh he was dreading this. "Well, I sort of had to."

"Why?"

"Because...." Sebastian faltered. Merlin, how was he going to explain this without Anne getting upset?

Anne stopped her walking and looked back at Sebastian. "Because?"

Sebastian cleared his throat. His fingers began tapping anxiously against the page he was reading. "Well, when I left him, he was talking to Sabrina."

"Wait... she walked in and heard him?"

"No.... I think we woke her up."

He didn't look at Anne, but he felt her shock. "Oh no she heard him?! How much did she hear?"

"She may have overheard Ominis telling me he was in love with her."

Sebastian finally turned and looked at his sister. She had a look of confusion on her face for a few seconds, then the realization hit her and her jaw nearly hit the floor. "He did what?!"

Sebastian still felt sick.

Anne stood in complete shock for a few more seconds before she walked towards the door. "We have to go–"

Sebastian was on his feet and standing in front of the door in a matter of seconds. "No, we're not going anywhere," he told her. "We're leaving them alone. They'll come and talk to us when they're ready."

Anne tried to get past him. "But what if they–"

Sebastian gently put his hands on his sisters' shoulders to lead her away from the door. "I'm sure we'll hear all about it tomorrow."