Chapter Forty: Ominis Lucian

A/N: Mentions of familial abuse, murder, and language. You know... the normal Gaunt stuff.

-----

"How are you going to do it?"

Ominis turned his head towards Sebastian as his fingers were carefully examining the collection of rings at Gladrags. "What do you mean?"

Sebastian moved in closer, speaking softly so Mr. Hill didn't hear them from the counter. "How are you going to take down Atticus?"

He saw as Ominis' touch lingered on a small and dainty ring. It had a tiny green emerald and gold leaves on either side of the stone. "By outsmarting him," he replied as he took the ring into his hands to further feel it. "By not letting him get the upper hand."

"Aren't you worried he might come after you? That he might come and try to kill you or Sabrina?"

Ominis stopped for a few seconds before he sighed. "I'm always worried about that. However, I know things he won't be expecting me to know, and he cares too much about his reputation to ever fight me back on it." He fully turned until he was face to face with Sebastian. "I will need you there. In case he flies off the handle entirely and threatens Corvina."

Sebastian nodded. "Of course. Ominis, you know I'll do anything for you. You're my best friend and the closest thing to a brother I'll ever have. I would kill for you if you asked me to."

At this, Ominis chuckled. "Let's hope it won't come to that."

As soon as Deek was gone, both Ominis and Sabrina were getting out of bed. "The first day of class hasn't even started!" Sabrina protested, ignoring the soreness in her legs and hips from the night before. "How can he be here already?"

Ominous began feeling on the floor. "My dear, I need your help telling our clothing apart."

Sabrina got to work and quickly threw the discarded clothes from the floor to the bed. She began to sort them, her hands shaking as she did so.

They hadn't expected Atticus to come so quickly. They knew he would eventually, but so soon? Before classes even started? He was wasting no time. What were they going to do? Would he take Ominis away or torture him or worse? What about Corvina? And Sebastian? What if he went after her? What if–

Ominis' hands overlapped hers and he gently pulled her into him as he wrapped his arms around her small frame. His chest was warm against her soft skin as he made an attempt to stop her from shaking. "It will work," he reassured her. "After today, he'll have no choice but to leave us alone."

Sabrina's mind was still racing. "But Marvolo–"

"Marvolo is wanted by the Ministry, so him showing up at Hogwarts would be a foolish mistake." He felt Sabrina lean further into him, and he gently kissed the top of her head. "You will not lose me today."

Her voice was small as she held back tears. "Do you promise?"

He kissed her again. "I promise."

Sabrina felt her mind calm down slightly. Ominis never broke his promises.

They stood like that for a long moment, taking in the feeling of each other once more before Ominis spoke again. "Help me get dressed. We'll want to look our best today."

As soon as Sebastian heard that Lord Gaunt was in Hogwarts, he instantly changed into his best uniform set. Most of the time he wore his light green vest and tie, if he remembered them at all, but today was a special day that called for his formal deep emeralds. Even Anne had changed into a matching vest, and together they walked to the headmaster's office with their heads held high.