CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.

Karyn.
There is an overwhelming darkness, and I find myself following the single beam of light that keeps moving. I'm sure my family, friends are waiting on the other side. I just have to follow the light out of the darkness. I sway dangerously, exhausted with the effort of placing one foot in front of the other and I stumble, falling down to one knee and resting my weight on the other.
The ground is sandy, and the dust is carried around by wind such that I have to shield my eyes with my arms. The hope in my heart is nearly painful; I just want to get back to the academy. I feel a heavy sensation as my surroundings become blurry and I close my eyes.

When I open my eyes again, I'm standing at the mouth of a cave and the wind is howling loudly, my hair and skirt thoroughly windblown which is wierd because; well, I'm standing! Who stands with their eyes closed?! I place a hand to the fluttering skirt in a bid to keep it from raising any higher. It's also brighter than it was earlier.
A heavily clothed figure makes his way towards me. He has a kind smile but he remains at the mouth of the cave, eyeing me, somewhat creepily.
"Hello! How did I get here?" I yell, making no attempt to go any closer. I lick my lips, my throat parched. He makes no sound, doesn't give me any reply. I moisten my lips, swallowing before trying again.
"I'm a student; a student of J.A.N.E academy. My name is Karyn Adams. I think I'm lost. Could you at least point me in the direction of the accademy? I'll really appreciate that."

"You're a wee little thing, aren't you? You think you deserve to be the key?" The man yells back and I groan in frustration. My head is beginning to ache, and the mention of this so called key only worsens it. Why are people always associating me with keys and unique powers.
"I don't. Only thing I think I deserve right now are the directions to the academy. Could you please help me with that?" I mutter wearily, the back and forth conversation already wearing me out. He stretches his hand out to me, and I roll my eyes with an angry huff.

"What part of, point me in the right direction didn't you get? I'm exhausted and tired. I've been walking for miles, I don't even know how I got here and all you can think of is to stretch your hand towards me? I do not know you, what makes you think, I will place my hand in yours?" I rant, blowing my hair out of my face in exasperation.
. What the hell is wrong with all these people? First, the assasins, then Conan and now this! Damn! .
He begins a soft chant, a lyrical chant that has my eyes misting. I rub them, but it doesn't help at all. I glare at the man in front of me. The chant sounds ancient, and something in me screams in euphoria as the chant progresses.

"Who the hell are you? What are you doing?" I ask, as my heart beats faster and my hands suddenly feel clammy . He tilts his head slightly, staring at me intently.
"I am someone who's here to help you unlock your destiny, Karyn. I will bring you to your full potential, and place you at the top of the worlds. That is your rightful place, Aura." He pronounces Aura as Awura and I groan.
. I don't want to be at the top! I just wanna be back at the accademy.

He continues his ancient chant and my eyes droop, the strange feeling intensified, my legs turning to jelly beneath me. Something unfurls within me and I find myself chanting with him. The chant flows out of my mouth fluidly, as though it is a language, I've been speaking my entire life. I grab my stomach, hunching over. When I throw my head back, screaming the last words, my amulet grows extremely hot and explodes. Energy explodes from me like a bomb, and the sand on the ground is blown away from me.

The clothed man shields his face with wraps of his clothing, holding on to the mouth of the cave tightly. Another hooded figure exits the cave, this one clad in a black hooded cloak. I fall to the ground, my eyes screwing shut.
----------------------------------

I awake with a gasp and I find myself standing in some large container of some sort filled with a strange orange gooey liquid.
. So gross .
"Why am I here?" I ask, my voice hoarse, probably from lack of use.
"See, you're here because I want you too." Conan suddenly appears, walking into the light and I'm surprised at how haggard he looks.