09

Law's POV

"Back to December" - 2 years ago

•••

"What?" I said in disbelief.

"You heard me," The spiky-haired redhead said evilly. "stop talking to Straw Hat."

"Why?" I had been dating Kidd for six months now. Luffy was mad, and it made me upset.

"He's awfully touchy towards you, and I can't have my darling getting misused by the likes of him now can I~?" He lifted my chin up and kissed me roughly. I wanted to cry, but I didn't.

"Give me a month."

"What?"

"I've break things off with him in a months time." Kidd had an irritated look on his face, but he agreed regardless.

***

I laid in Luffy's bed, holding him close to me. I had cried myself to sleep the previous night, and my arms burned.

"Are you okay?" Luffy said quietly into my hair.

I hummed a response and bit my lip to avoid crying. I didn't want to leave him. It was our last year of high school, everyone besides Bepo was going to a different college, I'd be alone. A world without Luffy seemed bland, not worth living.

"You can cry, I don't care." Luffy said kindly. We were spooning, and Luffy had his arms around my waist as I held a pillow close to my body. Luffy gently removed the pillow from my arms and turned me around so I was hugging him, and he drew small circles on my back. I didn't want to cry in front of him anymore. I didn't want to cry anymore at all. But Luffy had this way about him, so I cried anyways.

I heard a knocking on the door, and I knew it was Sabo because Ace never knocked.

"Come in!" Luffy yelled.

"Ace wanted me to come check on you and make sure you weren't 'sucking face'," Sabo made air quotations. He looked at Luffy, and then at me. "Hey man," he directed towards me. "you've been coming over quite a lot recently, everything okay? There's always a space for you here if you need anything." The genuine kindness of his words made me cry harder, and Luffy began to hold me tighter. Sabo left the room quietly, and for a while the sound of my tears was all that filled the room.

***

It seemed later now, and I had supposedly fallen asleep without realizing.

"You awake?" Luffy said quietly. I felt another wave of sadness come over me, and barley choked out a response.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Ace needs me to go run some errands, and Zoro's coming over with Sanji later. So I need to go get tons of ingredients so Sanji can cook for us!" Luffy smiled and I couldn't help but smile back. "You can stay here if you need." Luffy reached over to the side of the bed to grab something, and placed his signature Straw Hat on my head. "I'm only a call away, and you can use my shower if you want." He hugged me briefly, and as much as I wanted to hold on and keep him here, I let go so he could go run his errands. I watched silently as he left, and held his straw hat close to my chest. My eyes were swollen from crying, so I decided to shower. 

***

I must've taken a long time in the shower, because by the time I came out Zoro and Sanji had already arrived.

"Hey, Law. It's been a while, how you doing?" The blonde boy asked with a smile on his face. I told him I was doing good, and felt a hand grab mine.

"Come sit with me." Luffy silently pleaded. I obeyed, and sat on the couch with his head in my lap. I wanted to tell him not to be so touchy, but I had stopped caring 3 years previous when I met him. It was December, and everyone had changed from tight long sleeved shirts to hoodies and jackets. There wasn't much to be said. Just enjoying the company of eachother.

For the last time.

 They small talk, work and the weather. I loved the smaller memories like this. They were lovely. Especially the December's spent with Luffy and his friends. I go back to December all the time.

I hated feeling the way I did, especially in such a calm environment.

"I'm going out for a smoke break," Sanji announced after washing his hands. "Law, you care to join me?" I followed him onto the ASL brothers porch, and watched as he lit a cigarette. He offered me one, and though I rarely smoked, I decided to take one. He leaned against the railing and took a long drag, before promptly exhaling. "What's with you?" He said without warning.

"Nothing, what do you mean?" I shifted uncomfortably and leaned on the railing alongside him.

"Everyone's noticed you're off. You've always been a man of few words, but you say less nowadays. Not to mention your wearing Luffy's straw hat as we speak. Something happen with that idiot boyfriend of yours?"

"I'm not off. I've just been tired with finishing high school. We're all excited to graduate."

"Don't bullshit me." Sanji spat. "You're good at school. You don't need to try to pass. Look, I don't know anything, but you're pulling away from us. If you hurt Luffy I swear I'll-"

"SANJIIII" Luffy came outside, running towards the two of us. "The timer went off!!" Sanji shot me a glare, and we both put out our cigarettes as we walked back inside.

•••