11

"all too well"

Law's POV

•••

I missed the Straw Hats. Missed watching Zoro and Sanji banter, missed the long game nights with the ASL brothers. Missed the banter. And most of all, I missed Lu. But things with Kidd were once pure, no matter now small a time period that was.

I walked through the door with Kidd, the air was cold. But something about it felt like somehow. I left my shirt at his best friend's house, and he's still got it in his drawer, even now. I remember when he had a sweet disposition, a wide-eyed gaze. We were singing in the car, getting lost upstate. It's been two years since I cut Luffy out, and the autumn leaves fall down like pieces into place. I can still picture it, after all these days. 

I know it's long gone, and the magic isn't here anymore, and I might be okay. But I'm not fine at all. But there we are again, on that little town street. He almost ran the red because he was looking at me. The wind in my hair, I was there, I remember it all too well. But I should've seen the signs. He never took pictures with me. Never wanted to kiss unless it was to makeout or have sex. This was the part of our relationship that I hated. I was scared of him. Yet during those times I forgot about Luffy for long enough to forget why I needed to. And then there we are again, in the middle of the night. We were dancing around in the refrigerator light. Down the stairs, I was there, I remember it all too well. 

Maybe we got lost in translation, maybe I asked for too much. Maybe this thing was a masterpiece until he tore it all up. Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well.

Then I broke up with him. And he called me up again, just to break me like a promise. He was so casually cruel in the name of being 'honest'

Time wouldn't fly. I was paralyzed by it. I wanted to be my old self again, and I knew where to find it. After plaid shirt days, and nights where he made me his own. Now he mails back my stuff and I walk home alone. Yet he kept my shirt, from that very first week. Because it reminds him of innocence, and it smells like me. He can't get rid of it, because he remembers it all too well.

And there I am with Luffy, when I loved Kidd so. Back before I lost the one real thing I'd ever known. It was rare, I was there. I remember it all too well.

•••