12

"illicit affairs."

Luffy's POV

•••

I make sure nobody sees me leave. I shade my head with my straw hat, and tell my friends I'm out for a run. I'll be flushed when I return. I take the road less traveled by, tell myself I can always stop. What started in beautiful rooms, ends with classroom goodbyes. But that's the thing about illicit affairs, and clandestine meetings and longing stares. They're born from just one single glance, but it dies, and it dies, and it dies. A million little times.

I leave the cologne on the shelf. That I picked out just for him. So I leave no trace behind, like I don't even exist. I took his words for what they were. A dwindling mercurial high, a drug that only works the first few hundred times. But that's the thing about illicit affairs, and clandestine meetings and stolen stares. They show their truth one single time and they lie, and they lie, and they lie, a million little times.

 And I wanna scream. Don't call me kid. Don't call me baby. Look at this godforsaken mess that you made me. You showed me colors you know I can't see with anyone else. Look at this idiotic fool that you made me. You taught me a secret language I can't speak with anyone else. And you know damn well, for you I would ruin myself, a million little times.

•••