Seed

Jinenji got into his house, carrying Annabelle in his strong arms. His mother helped to lay the lass over the straw bed. As soon as the foreigner was settled upon the mattress, the old lady touched her forehead and got alarmed.

"She has a fever!" The woman stared at her son, and the big boy immediately understood what he had to do. As Jinenji went out, towards the plantation ahead of the house, his mother uttered to their guest: "We will take care of you."

As the hours passed by, the White Rose drank some doses of medicinal tea, however her malaise and high body's temperature didn't fade.

"I feel so cold..." Anna muttered, resting hands over her own belly and feeling a strange pulsation inside. "It hurts!" She moaned.

"Listen, I need you to tell me," the old lady covered the young lass' body with a cloth. "Is the father of your child a man or a demon?"

"A half-demon." She spilled with rolling eyes.

"I see." Moved by the guest's situation, she sighed and brushed wrinkled thin fingers on the coppery sweaty bangs. "I think it's better if you stay with us for a little longer, I know far well what you are enduring and can help you to get through it."

"I can't..." Anna wouldn't stand to cause troubles for that family, the danger she made Yoru face for her sake has been enough. And now then, if she was really carrying Naraku's child, situation was even more delicate. If any of the hanyo's enemies came to find out, or worse, when they come to find out...

"Do you realize that, from now on, you are not responsible only for your own life? There is a little being growing inside of you who needs extra cares!" Jinenji's mother scolded her. "Will you risk to lose this little miracle?"

The turquoises, albeit numb, opened subtly and got stuck on the image of that old woman whose features showed how much suffer she had to endure alone, and although she could be sullen, one thing was unquestionable about her though: the deep, genuine love she felt for her son. A child, a proof of a consummated passion and even more - a remembrance. Jinenji was all that remained of the yokai that woman has fallen in love with. Soon, everything Annabelle would have of Naraku would be the memories of moments they spent together, and that seed blooming into her womb. A knot formed inside her throat and the lass swallowed it slowly as her eyelids felt burning and swollen.

"I'll do whatever I need to keep this child safe." She said, full with conviction, caressing her own belly that sometimes pulsed painfully.

"Even if it comes to be like Jinenji?" The woman asked, since her son was outside, in the woods. "I don't know if you are aware, but there are many chances that your child may born with some..." She sought for the right words. "Odd characteristics."

"I will love my baby, no matter what." Anna kept firm on her tone and gaze, moving the old lady nursing her.

"Well..." The eldest breathed in, restraining her emotions. "Fever happens because your body is still getting used to it's new condition. After all, it isn't expected that an ordinary woman gets pregnant with a supernatural being's child. But, for the way you speak and act, for the light I see in your eyes, I'm confident you shall resist as I did myself in the past."

"Mother," Jinenji called from the entrance's door. "There is someone wanting to see the lady."

"Who is it?" Annabelle asked, full of expectations.