ii. share my parents

Molly sat in Geometry class next to Demetri

Molly sat in Geometry class next to Demetri. The two of them having the bright idea to sit next to each other at the beginning of the year came crashing down about five minutes after class started. Molly and Demetri immediately would start bickering or giggling throughout class.

Today, they were bickering. Molly explained to Demetri that she offered Miguel sit with them at lunch and she had already gotten Eli's okay, but Demetri didn't want new people in the group.

"Look, I'm sure this Miguel character is a sweetheart and a lovely individual to hang out with, but what if he messes up our dynamic?" Demetri whispered, leaning closer to Molly so the teacher wouldn't hear them talking. Mollys eyebrows furrowed as she moved to rest her chin on her hand as she leaned against her desk to look at him.

"I didn't think you'd mind. I've been worried you may have been feeling like a third wheel." Molly said. Demetri let out a small laugh and waved his hand around as if to say it's no big deal. "I don't feel like a third wheel. You guys are the kind of couple that treats the third party as their kid, not an intrusion. And personally, I wouldn't like to share my parents."

Molly tilted her head down, but kept her eyes on Demetri as if to give him a "are you kidding me?" look. Demetri sighed, dropping his chin onto his crossed arms on the desk like a little kid as his eyes flashed up to Molly with a small pout. "Miguel is nice and won't rain terror on me and Eli, right?" Demetri asked and Molly laughed, moving her chin from her hand to copy Demetri's action and cross her arms on the table to rest her chin there. "He will not rain terror on you or Eli."

Demetri squinted at Molly for a couple of seconds without blinking as he tried to make a decision. Molly, thinking Demetri had just challenged her to a staring contest—he wasn't, squinted right back at him. Demetri realized that Molly thought they were in a staring contest and rolled his eyes, groaning. "You have a yes from me." Demetri muttered.

Molly smiled widely, glad that Demetri was open to making their group a little bit bigger. Demetri smiled at how big Mollys smile had become. They hadn't even been friends for very long, but Demetri knew Molly was a keeper. "Thank you, Dem!" Molly whispered excitedly before she playfully kicked him under the table. "Now, I'm gonna nap." She said, moving her head to face away from Demetri.

Demetri rolled his eyes to hold back his laugh, looking back to the front of the class to continue to take notes until the bell rings where he'd then wake up Molly and drag her to the cafeteria where Eli would be waiting for them as always.

...

When the bell rang to signal class was over and lynch was starting, Demetri gently woke Molly up and the two headed towards the cafeteria. As always, Eli waited for them near the lunch line. Eli quickly grabbed Molly's hand, interlacing their fingers and pulled her into the line.

"Where were you guys?" Eli asked quietly as they each grabbed lunch trays. Demetri chuckled, leaning over Molly so he could see Eli on the other side of her. "Mama Molls wouldn't wake up from her nap. Almost had to push her out of her seat."