xiv. the plan

In the past few weeks that Robby has been staying with Molly and her moms, Robby has been teaching Molly how to skateboard just like he said he would

Molly had gotten the basics down and today, Robby was taking Molly to the skatepark early in the morning so she could practice without any other kids there.

That's how Molly ended up standing at the edge of the bowl, her skateboard halfway off the ledge. Her right foot was on the back end of the skateboard, keeping it leveled. She gazed into its depths, a mix of excitement and fear in her eye.

Robby was right beside her, his hands barely reaching out to spot Molly in case he had to catch her. He noticed Mollys nervous look and his arms immediately fell to his side, watching Molly softly.

"Hey." He whispered. Mollys head whipped to Robby. Her eyes were wide and filled with anxiety. He put his hand on Molly shoulder and rubbed it. "You ready to do this?" Robby asked. "If you're not, that's okay."

Molly let out a shaky breath of air and looked down into the seven foot deep bowl. "It looks a lot steeper up close." She admitted, biting her lip.

Robby chuckled softly. He moved to step on the edge and looked down into the bowl. His eyes squinted and he tilted his head as an idea came to mind. Robby turned to Molly, a small smile on his face. "How about I stand inside and hold your hand while you skate down? We'll take it slow."

Molly looked at him, her nervousness easing into a smile. She felt a small flutter in her stomach, but she ignored it and shook it off as nerves for skating.

"That sounds perfect." She muttered and Robby smiled. He looked back down into the bowl and got on the ground.

Robby sat down and moved to step into the bowl. He wanted to make sure he was still pretty high up so he could hold her hand. Once he had a good grip and footing in the bowl, he looked up at Molly on the edge and extended his free hand up to her.

Molly took a deep breath as she placed her left foot on the edge of the skateboard that was hovering in the air. The sunrise casted long shadows around the two of them, highlighting the gentle curvature of the bowl.

Robby noticed Molly was still nervous, maybe more nervous than she was just a minute ago. He shook his head and kept his hand out for Molly to grab. "Just keep your knees bent and focus on me. I've got you."

Molly just barely nodded, taking one more deep breath before pushing off on her left foot.

The wheels of her board rattle against the concrete as she begins her descent, Robby's hand immediately finding hers and firmly clasping it. He ran down the ramp with her as she skated. Her descent started off shaky, but she quickly found her balance and she let go of Robby's hand.

Molly continued to skate across the bowl as she screamed and cheered. The world around her seemed to blur into a rush of wind and exhilarating speed.

She could hear Robby cheering for her from the spot she left him at as she started to reached the other edge of the bowl. Molly remembered what Robby had told her and bent her legs.