Chapter 9.

Back with the remembrance.
"But what sort of being lay upon the table?" inquired the remembrance. I pondered for a moment before responding, "I believe such a grotesque being, whether it be a creature, disease, or curse, is now known as a poxwalker." I glanced at her, hoping to gauge her reaction to the name, but her expression remained unchanged. "Poxwalkers are the unfortunate souls infected by one of Nurgle's plagues from the treacherous Sea of Souls, a realm known as the warp," I concluded, answering her query. She appeared revolted, yet managed to conceal any further understanding of the matter, which was a relief in itself.

"And that deceased Astartes, could he be considered a poxwalker?" she inquired, her disgust still evident. "Not entirely, at least not to my knowledge. I have yet to come across a case where an Astartes has been completely consumed by the virus responsible for creating poxwalkers," I replied succinctly. "However, there is something awry with him, for all the Astartes from that legion have shown varying degrees of corruption by the foul influence of Nurgle." She listened attentively, contemplating her next question, before finally asking, "You mentioned an earlier legion referred to as the Iron Plague Legion. Is that them?" I couldn't help but smile, my secret smile, and offered to continue my tale. "Indeed, you have recalled correctly. Would you like me to pick up where we left off? We were just ambushed," I proposed. She nodded in agreement, ready to resume our enthralling narrative.

Chapter 9.
Gripping the borrowed weapon tightly, I cautiously maneuvered around the corner of the towering structure. Even before fully emerging, my eyes were fixed through the scope of the boltrifle. The devastating sight unfolded before me - two of the ten Thunderhawks we had arrived with were engulfed in raging flames. In the distance, amidst the vast expanse between the 6th base and a foreboding forest, figures clad in gray and green Astartes armor moved ominously towards our position.

As I scanned the battlefield, my heart sank. Approaching from all directions were the formidable deimos pattern rhino support tanks and spartan assault tanks. It was clear, without reinforcements, victory seemed unattainable. The weight of this realization pressed upon me heavily.

Summoning every ounce of courage, I took a leap of faith and sprinted towards the door leading to the 6th combi-central. Adrenaline surged through my veins as I reached the entrance, wrenching it open with a desperate urgency. To my surprise, I found Ragnar right on my heels, his axe poised for action. In that moment, a faint smile escaped my lips, a silent acknowledgement of camaraderie and shared determination.

With urgency coursing through my veins, I sprinted towards the Astartes stationed at the communication hub. "Contact the Angelic Grace in orbit," I commanded, my voice laced with determination. "Inform them that Eric Shield, captain of the 2nd company within the 2nd Legiones Astartes Arch Angels, requires immediate reinforcements. The enemy we face are fully equipped Astartes from an unknown legion."

Without waiting for a response, I swiftly retrieved my helmet from my belt and secured it over my head. As the helmet's internal systems synchronized, I activated the vox radio to convey my next set of orders to the Astartes who had accompanied me. "Listen closely," I began, my words resonating with a sense of urgency. "We need six Thunderhawks manned by skilled crews to launch a coordinated assault on the enemy. Attack them from 2 different directions. The remaining two Thunderhawks should empty is crew and prepare to neutralize any tanks or heavy machinery they encounter."

The voices of the Thunderhawk commanders echoed through the vox radio, assuring me of their understanding and immediate compliance with the orders they had been given.

As I scanned the area, my gaze fixated on Ragnar who stood resolutely at the communication station, engrossed in battle plans with his fellow legionnaires. Determined and resolute, I made my way towards him, ready to assert my authority. I informed Ragnar that henceforth, I would assume full command of this planet, until higher-ranked Astartes from either the 2nd or 6th Legion arrived.