Chapter 10.

Back with the remembrance.
"Eric," the remembrance began, her voice laced with curiosity and a hint of disbelief, "I can't help but react to how casually you speak about your fear. Weren't all space marines designed without the capacity to feel fear?"

A cold laugh escaped my lips as I stared out the window, contemplating how to respond. After a brief pause, I finally replied, "You would assume so. But the truth is, we do experience fear. However, it is inconceivable for this fear to hinder us from fulfilling our duty to the Emperor."

Her expression turned pensive, and she inquired further, "Have you ever been so terrified that you ran away or couldn't perform your duties?"

Meeting her gaze, I reaffirmed my earlier statement, "As I mentioned before, allowing fear to paralyze us into inaction is unthinkable."

She nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer, before delving into a new line of questioning, "So, what was it like facing numerous Astartes in battle? This was your second encounter, right? The first being aboard The Emperor's Pride, although that encounter was hardly on the same scale as the one you just described."

Without hesitation, I responded, "No, what transpired on Aetherium IX was an entirely different situation. It was a war, far grander than I had initially anticipated."

Her nods continued, prompting me to continue my tale from where I had left off.

Chapter 10.
My eyes were fixated on the holo map, a mix of shock and disbelief coursing through me. The scene before me couldn't possibly be real. I desperately rebooted the holo map program, hoping it was just a glitch, but my heart sank as I saw the same impossible sight once again.

The map revealed a startling truth - our enemies were not just formidable, but far more superior than I had initially comprehended. They possessed an arsenal of heavy machinery and a seemingly endless army of infantry soldiers. However, what caught my attention was the presence of what appeared to be ordinary soldiers, not Astartes but rather some form of Auxilia.

With a quick shift in focus, I examined their heavy machinery in detail. To my disbelief, there they were - Landriders and Kratos pattern heavy assault tanks. The enemy had the firepower and capability to bring devastation upon us.

The realization hit me like a tidal wave - the enemy before us was no ordinary force. They truly was a legion, but of an unknown type. The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on my shoulders, and the true extent of the impending danger became all too clear.

I observed in awe as my squadron of five Thunderhawks soared through the sky with incredible velocity, unleashing a relentless storm of devastation with their heavy bolters. Our enemies, caught off guard, sluggishly advanced on foot, since they had exit their protective rhino tanks. Seizing the opportunity, I cautiously retreated to my previous position, where I had engaged the enemy before. Steadying myself, I raised my bolt rifle and trained my sights on the encroaching wave of adversaries, now alarmingly close. With precise aim, I swiftly discharged my weapon, sending a barrage of rounds towards the front lines of the Astartes. Through my scope, I witnessed the force of impact as their heads recoiled backwards, followed by the inevitable collapse of those unfortunate enough to be struck.

However, the relentless Astartes warriors had pressed forward with alarming proximity. Their presence felt like an overwhelming force, crashing upon us like a merciless tide, propelled by the fury of their boltfire. In an instant, a barrage of lethal projectiles erupted from their boltguns, hurtling towards our fragile sanctuary. The boulder I had sought refuge behind crumbled under the relentless assault, reduced to mere fragments. Acting swiftly, I instinctively rolled to the side, narrowly evading the lethal rain of enemy gunfire. From my new vantage point, I witnessed the grim fate that befell several warriors from both the 2nd and the 6th legions, mercilessly riddled by a deluge of bullets unleashed by the foe's boltguns.