Chapter 7: Countdown to a Birthday

15 July 1992

Harry remained at the Burrow for another four days. During that time, Ron only made one more all-day trip to Potter Manor, though he took up running and weight-lifting while at home at the Burrow and, to Harry's surprise, finished most of his homework. Even more surprising, he showed a little humility and asked Harry (who was top of their year in DADA) a number of Defense questions that the Slytherin was happy to answer. At the stroke of noon on Wednesday, July 15th, Harry was to use a portkey that Lady Augusta had sent via Artie which would take him directly to Longbottom Manor. There, he would spend the rest of the summer with Neville. But he had one last thing to take care of before he left the Burrow.

On the morning of the 15th, Molly Weasley rose at seven o'clock to make breakfast as usual when, to her surprise, she found it was already in progress. As she descended the stairs, she was surprised by the sound of bacon frying and the smell of fresh coffee already made. And in the middle of her kitchen, whistling cheerfully as he whisked egg yolks into a bowl of fresh milk, was Harry Potter.

"Harry? What in heaven's name are you doing up this early? And cooking breakfast?!"

He turned and smiled at the woman. "Well, it's like this, Mrs. Weasley. This is my last day here, and I wanted to do something to show my appreciation for all the kindnesses you and your family have shown to me. Now, I was four years old when the Dursleys decided I needed to learn to cook for them ... to 'pay them back' as it were for the privilege of being allowed to live under their roof. Simple things when I was little, but increasingly fancy and complicated meals as I got older. And they never gave me any compliments or encouragement, just complaints when everything wasn't absolutely perfect. So I have been waiting over seven years for the chance to cook something nice for people I actually like. And honestly, there aren't many people I like right now better than the Weasleys."

At that, Molly's eyes misted a bit, and she came over and hugged the boy. Harry stiffened at first – he wasn't used to hugs or other displays of affection – but he relaxed into it.

"I know you'll be very happy at Longbottom Manor, but I promise you'll always be welcome here if you ever want to come back, Harry."

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley."

"Now, what are you making for us?"

"Quiche Lorraine, Eggs Benedict, and Raspberry Scones."

"Goodness me," Molly said in amazement.

As the rest of the Weasleys came down, they were all equally impressed at Harry's skill in the kitchen. Mr. Weasley thought it a kind gesture, but he said that Harry shouldn't have spent money on food for them since he was the guest. Harry's eyes took on a mischievous gleam.

"Well actually, sir, your sons all pitched in with the expense. They each gave me some of their allowance last week, and I used that to buy the ingredients." He turned to the four surprised Weasley sons. "I did tell you it was for a good cause," he said with a smile.

Molly, now convinced that all four of her sons must have known of this surprise breakfast, went around and gave each of the startled boys a bone-crushing hug. Ginny, of course, knew exactly when and why the four had given up money to Harry – to pay off the bet they'd made over her Seeker's contest against Cedric Diggory – and she nearly laughed at the looks they were all giving him, looks that all seemed to say "dammit, now I owe the Slytherin for this." Once breakfast was over, Percy, the Twins and Ron all immediately began clearing the table as Percy told their mother to sit and relax while they took care of the washing up.