Chapter 38: Slouching Towards End pt2

4 May 1993
8:30 p.m. in the Headmaster's Office

"So what you are saying, Headmaster," Lucius Malfoy said in a voice that was equal measures of silk and steel, "if I understand you correctly, is that you have no idea who is responsible for petrifying my son nor even how it was accomplished?"

The Lord of House Malfoy and the Chairman of the Hogwarts Board of Governors sat in Dumbledore's office and regarded the older wizard calmly, speaking in the dulcet measured tone that only the best of Slytherin House could master. It was a tone that conveyed cold menace to the person being spoken to while generally sounding mild and polite to any non-Slytherins observing. In this case, that included the Minister of Magic who sat next to Malfoy and who was oblivious to the lethal fury masked by the calm demeanor of his most trusted advisor.

Also present in the room were Profs. Lockhart, Snape, and McGonagall, Chief Auror Scrimgeour, and Senior Auror Potter. Of those five, Snape and Scrimgeour were Slytherins and knew how to read Malfoy's subtext, while McGonagall and Potter simply knew the man's history well enough to assume malicious intent. For his part, Gilderoy Lockhart bore a smile of bland amusement that gave away nothing of what he thought of Malfoy's words.

"Lucius," Dumbledore said with an equally deceptive calm, "let me assure you that we are investigating every avenue and considering every reasonable suspect."

"Is the Boy-Who-Lived among your 'reasonable suspects,' Dumbledore? I have followed his recent exploits in the Prophet with great interest." Fudge seemed scandalized by that suggestion, while James was incensed.

"Now see here...!" he started.

"No, Lord Malfoy, he is not a suspect," Scrimgeour interrupted testily while shooting a glare at his subordinate. "Or at least no more than anyone else. I personally interviewed Jim Potter last February, and I was of the opinion then and remain convinced now that someone has been trying to frame him. As for your son and the Hufflepuff boy who was petrified alongside him, Jim has an alibi for most of the period from the time they were last seen until their petrified bodies were discovered. Of course, Jim doesn't have an alibi for that entire period, but while we don't know how the petrifications are being accomplished, I find it unlikely that it's something that can be done in mere moments by someone located on the other side of the school. On the other hand, we can't rule out the possibility that the petrifications are being done by some means that could be set in motion in advance while the perpetrator goes off to create an alibi, but if that's the case, any alibi would be meaningless and the perpetrator could be essentially anyone in the school." He smiled at Malfoy. "Excepting, naturally, those who have been petrified. At least they're in the clear."

"Do you know something, Chief Auror?" interjected Lockhart cheerfully. "I said the exact same thing when young Malfoy was discovered! Great minds and all that, what? ha-Ha!" Everyone simply stared at the man for several seconds until he coughed softly and adjusted his cravat. Lucius in particular gave Lockhart a withering look before turning his attention back to Dumbledore.

"Tell me, Headmaster. Are there at least prospects for unpetrifying my son? And the two Muggle-borns also petrified, I suppose?"

"Alas, Lucius. I am informed that there is simply no Essence of Mandrake to be had anywhere in Europe for any sum of money."

"We shall certainly see if that is true, Dumbledore. In the meantime, I expect this matter to be resolved immediately. Or else I shall bring it to the Board at the meeting scheduled for next week. I must say that in light of your complete lack of progress in this 'Heir of Slytherin' business that has been percolating since last November, I'm beginning to wonder if you've ... lost your touch. I suspect a majority of the Board might well agree with me. Perhaps it's time for some ... new blood, as they say?"