Chapter 9: The Goblet of Fire (Part 1)

26 October 1994
Just outside Gryffindor Tower
7:00 a.m.

As Hermione Granger left the dorm for her morning classes, she was surprised to find Harry Black waiting patiently just outside.

"Good morning!" he said cheerfully. "I had a few questions about our Arithmancy homework, so I thought I would walk you to breakfast, if you don't mind."

The Gryffindor looked at him dubiously. "Really? How wildly uncharacteristic of you. And also disingenuous."

He gave a sour expression in response. "Yeah, I thought that was too cheerful when it came out of my mouth. Can we talk somewhere?"

She nodded and led him to a small, secluded alcove and set up the usual array of privacy Charms.

"Let me guess," Hermione started. "This is about yesterday afternoon, isn't it."

"Yeah," Harry answered. "I was worried about you."

Hermione smiled fondly but shook her head. "Harry, it was nothing. I just ... needed some space."

"Come on, Hermione. This is me talking. You know, the deductive genius? Yesterday, you ran out of the Great Hall more upset than I've ever seen you. More upset than you were in First Year after a troll tried to smash us. And, I'll wager, more upset than you were after narrowly avoiding getting incinerated by Fiendfyre."

He tilted his head slightly. "And I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Giles Yaxley? Or at least, Giles Yaxley as you remember him from ... before?"

Hermione flinched but then forced herself to relax. "You know, it's very annoying to have Young Sherlock Holmes for a friend. I wonder if this is how Dr. Watson felt all the time."

Harry said nothing. He just waited patiently, and when she saw he would not be diverted, the Gryffindor steeled herself before speaking.

"In ... my prior timeline, Corban Yaxley became Minister for Magic, and his two sons, Giles and Albert, transferred to Hogwarts. You were gone. So were Jim, Theo, Blaise, and, eventually, even Neville. The Yaxley brothers quickly became the dominant students in their years. Also, after Dumbledore was forced out, the Yaxley Administration introduced a number of 'Educational Decrees' to correct supposed problems with how Hogwarts was being run. A woman named Alecto Carrow was brought in to teach Muggle Studies to replace Lily Potter, but she was quickly elevated to the post of High Inquisitor, and Giles Yaxley was tapped to be the head of her Inquisitorial Squad, students loyal to the Ministry who outranked the prefects! They ... made it difficult for the Muggleborns."

Harry's concern was obvious. "More than difficult, I think, if just seeing Giles again gave you a panic attack."

She blinked her eyes and looked away for a few seconds. "At one point, it was suggested to me that if I continued to 'cheat' my way into better grades that put me ahead of 'more deserving' Pureblood students, it might be necessary for the Ministry to investigate my home life. 'And oh what a shame it would be' if my mother and father were accidentally killed while resisting arrest."

Harry's eyes flashed angrily. "Giles threatened your parents?" he asked coldly.

"Giles and Albert threatened my parents, along with ... with several other Slytherins from the Inquisitorial Squad."

"He can't hurt you now, Hermione," Harry said firmly. "None of them can. I promise you."

Hermione smiled wanly and did her best to look like she believed him. Harry paused before speaking hesitantly.

"Would ... would you like a hug?" His tone indicated that the boy was not eager to give her one but would if circumstances demanded it.

Hermione laughed. "No, Harry, I won't force that on you. But thank you anyway."