Chapter 36: Investigations Into Dark Matters

21 February 1993
The Hogwarts Owlery

"Well, Albus?" Scrimgeour asked sarcastically. "Now do you agree that this is a matter for the DMLE?"

Dumbledore sighed. "Honestly, Rufus! I apprised the DMLE of these matter from the start after the incident on Halloween. For that matter, I have been in favor of an official DMLE investigation of this 'Heir of Slytherin' business since 1943! Unfortunately, you know as well as I what factors thwart both our desires."

"Factors, sir?" inquired James Potter which earned him a glare from his superior.

"It has to do with the respective charters of both Hogwarts and the Wizengamot, James," said the Headmaster. "Of the two, Hogwarts was founded five centuries earlier by an alliance the four most powerful wizards and witches of that era, and they were quite intent that what passed for wizarding government at the time should have no say in how their school was to be run. Centuries later, both the Wizengamot and the Ministry of Magic were able to obtain some influence over Hogwarts as a result of magical treaties agreed to by former Headmasters, but every Headmaster upon obtaining the position is obliged to swear an Unbreakable Oath to maintain Hogwarts independence from the government as much as possible. The Founders also built magical defenses into the castle to protect against sieges and invasions. These defenses cannot be updated to understand our more civilized modern climate and so cannot tell the difference between a squad of aurors and an invading army. Unless they are acting pursuant to an official arrest warrant, the castle will identify aurors acting in their official capacities as a hostile invading force and respond accordingly. The only way you, Rufus, and the other aurors downstairs can even perform your investigative duties today is because I am actively suppressing the school's very strong desire to attack you all violently, which I will only be able to do for another few hours at most. And the only way to allow the DMLE unfettered access to the school is if I exercise my authority as Headmaster to shut Hogwarts down for a period of no less than two years, an extreme step only taken twice before in Hogwarts history, and one I am unwilling to take at this point."

"And if a student dies from these petrifications, Albus, like what happened the last time?" Scrimgeour said grimly.

"Then, like the last time, I will likely spend years wondering if I could have done something differently, even though realistically the most probable answer is 'no, I could not.'"

Scrimgeour shook his head in irritation and then carefully knelt down to examine Colin Creevey's petrified form. He tugged gently on the letter clutched in the boy's frozen hand, and when it would not move, he gestured at it with his wand and summoned it directly into his hand without tearing it. To his surprise, it was addressed to the Daily Prophet. Then, something else attracted the leonine auror's attention, and he lifted up the bottom of the boy's robe. There was a five-inch long jagged rip starting at the hem. He held the tear up for the others to see.

"Albus, how long could the boy have gotten around with a robe like this without getting docked points?"

The Headmaster closed his eyes, and the other two men could feel the magical ambiance of the castle thicken as he communed with it. "Mr. Creevey hasn't had any points taken for any reason at all in over a month, let alone for improper attire. The Gryffindor prefects are quite diligent. Most likely, they would have noticed and repaired that tear for him if he'd gotten it more than a day ago."

Scrimgeour nodded and started clumsily to stand back up, grunting in pain from the leg that had been crippled the previous summer. Potter moved to help him stand, but when the older man practically snarled at him, he quickly stepped back. Once standing, the Chief Auror waved his wand again. "SCRUTIMINIUS LOOSE BLACK THREADS." A tiny light emanated from the tip of his wand, accompanied by soft humming noise that grew louder as he moved around the room. Eventually, the Detection Charm led him down the stairs. Finally, on a piece of railing at the edge of the landing just below the Owlery, he found what he was looking for: several black threads that had been caught on a loose nail about three feet above the floor as the boy's robe was snagged and ripped.