Chapter 40: The Hunting of Sirius Black (pt 1)

25 March 1994
The Potions Classroom
7:50 a.m.

"Get a hold of yourself, Potter!" exclaimed Professor Snape. "You're a Slytherin and an Occlumens! Act like it!"

Harry closed his eyes and tried to center himself. Both Snape and Rufus Scrimgeour, who had also been summoned to this quick meeting, looked at him with concern.

"Yes, Potter," Scrimgeour added. "What has you so uncharacteristically frenzied?"

Harry started to speak but then froze. It was mere moments after Malachi Sturgeon (who was secretly Remus Lupin) had confiscated the Marauders' Map with the gleeful announcement that it could somehow be used to track down Sirius Black. Unfortunately, Sturgeon's true identity was protected by the Fidelius Charm. While Harry knew the Secret (or at least the part pertaining to who Sturgeon really was), the Charm prevented him from revealing that information to anyone else. He struggled to work around it.

"First of all, there's a Fidelius in play, so I can't say everything I need to. But what I can say is this: There is an enchanted Map that used to belong to the Marauders – that is, my father and his three closest friends – when they were at school. It shows the location of everyone in the castle and on the grounds. But apparently, it can do more than that. It can be modified to track down any of the Marauders wherever they are. And one of the former Marauders is Sirius Black!"

The two older men glanced at one another. "And where is this map now, Potter?" Snape asked grimly.

Harry grimaced. He knew from his experiments with the Fidelius that he could say that Malachi Sturgeon had the Map or that Remus Lupin had it, but he could not reveal that they were one and the same. But whose name would be the best to use?

"Mr. Sturgeon the caretaker has it," the boy finally said. "Apparently, Peeves told him I had it, and he confiscated it not ten minutes ago. He said he was going to take it to someone who could help him make the modifications needed. I assume he means the Headmaster."

"No," Scrimgeour said with a shake of his head. "Albus left early this morning for the Ministry. He's accompanying Crouch, Bagman, Malfoy, and some other dignitaries to Paris for a big ICW meeting."

"I will try to waylay Mr. Sturgeon and make some excuse to get the Map from him," he continued. "Snape, send word to our allies to let them know of this complication."

"You should both know that Mr. Sturgeon ... is more than he appears to be. I wish I could say more than that."

Rufus nodded at that information and then left as fast as his disability would allow him. Alas, by the time he made his way to the Caretaker's Office, the man was already gone, and there was a note stuck to his door indicating he'd likely be gone for the day.

Meanwhile at 12 Grimmauld Place ...

Regulus Black was still blissfully asleep in his bed when a sudden bright light roused him. He opened his eyes blearily and then let out a surprised squawk. Somehow, there was a delicate translucent silvery doe in his bedchambers. His surprise only increased when the doe spoke with the incongruously masculine voice of Severus Snape.

"Regulus, this is Snape. We have a security risk. Apparently, a man named Malachi Sturgeon has acquired what Harry identifies as the Marauders' Map. It's something your brother and his miscreant former friends devised when they were students, and Harry believes it can be used to track Sirius down even though the house you're in is Unplottable. I do not know if the boy's fears are well-grounded, but you know as well as I do that he is not given to exaggeration. Discuss it with Sirius and let us know what he says."