Chapter 13: Modes of Transportation

1 September 1992

By September 1st, Neville Longbottom had become fairly competent at Potions and Transfiguration, while Harry Potter had become equally proficient at swimming, though he still didn't have a tan. At 10:30 a.m., the two young wizards along with Lady Augusta activated a portkey that transported them to a secluded alleyway across the street from King's Cross Station. Harry and Neville each carried a shoulder bag containing, among other things, their shrunken school trunks. Neville also carried a small sealed terrarium containing Trevor the Somewhat Poisonous Toad. The boy had decided that Trevor made a perfectly decent pet so long as no one handled him without wearing gloves and he wasn't allowed run of the school.

As they made their way to Platform 9¾, the two encountered several fellow students along their families. Harry also noticed that the Lovegood girl was there along with her father, Xenophilius, who was busy talking to several other parents about his newspaper, The Quibbler. While Neville was talking with some of their Gryffindor friends, Harry walked over to say hello to the girl.

"Good morning, Miss Lovegood. I hope you're recovered from Jim's party."

"I am, Mr. Potter, thank you."

"Please, call me Harry."

"Only if you will call me Luna."

He bowed slightly. "Luna it is."

She smiled at that. "I'm glad to hear it. I've found for some reason that most people mispronounce my name regularly. It's most vexing, but I don't want to seem rude by correcting them."

Harry's eyes narrowed. Surely, the girl knew that people were mocking her by calling her "Loony Lovegood," but for some reason, she was refusing to acknowledge it. Whether it was shyness, insecurity or "the nargles" responsible, Harry didn't think it would result in a happy experience at Hogwarts. In a sense, being Sorted into Slytherin was an advantage for him because everyone just assumed that everyone else was gaming out power scenarios from Day One. Draco Malfoy aside, there was surprisingly little overt bullying in-house because you never knew who was really weak and defenseless as opposed to intentionally flying under the radar until it was time for a power play, a fact he'd made abundantly clear to the whole House on Halloween of the previous year. Even though the House was riddled with Death Eater sympathizers, Draco and his flunkies had been the only ones to ever seriously threaten him, as ineffectual as those threats turned out to be.

"It's hardly rude, I think, to insist that people use your proper name, Luna," Harry said gently. "You're not doing yourself or other people any favors by letting them misunderstand who you are." At that, she gave him an unreadable expression, so he shrugged and changed the subject. "So, what House do you think you're going into?"

"Probably Ravenclaw. Both my parents went there." It was hard to read Luna's moods, but Harry thought she was not overly enthused by that prospect, and he politely said so.

"Well," she replied, "I really don't know where I'll fit in best. Following in my parents' footsteps seems the most logical course. If nothing else, it will make Daddy happy."

"Luna, you should never let something as important as your Sorting be governed by a desire to please others. I don't want to spoil the surprise of how you get Sorted ..."

"It's a Hat. Daddy told me when I was a little girl."

He sighed. "So much for cherished school traditions. Anyway, the Sorting Hat is wise and knows its job. Listen to its advice."

She crooked an eyebrow at him. "Even if it wants to send me into Slytherin House?"

"That depends, I suppose, on whether you really believe in, um, nergles and wreckspots...?"