Chapter 55: The Future All Around US, Waiting To Be Born (pt 1)

The Office of the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister
4 April 1994

"Knock, knock," said Pius Thicknesse as he rapped the frame of the open door. In response, Dolores Umbridge looked up from her desk, and her face brightened.

"Pius!" she exclaimed. "Do come in. I've been meaning to pop round to the Auror Department to see how you were doing, but the Minister's office has been a madhouse for the last week."

"Well, I'm glad to have saved you a trip," he said genially. At that point, Dolores noted to her own surprise that he was carrying a bouquet of flowers. Pius coughed in mild embarrassment and then blushed.

"I brought you these as a get-well-soon present. I do hope I'm not being forward in doing so."

"Not at all," Dolores replied. If her voice suddenly went a bit higher in pitch than usual, Pius didn't notice it. She quickly conjured a vase for the flowers. "They're lovely, Pius. Thank you."

"My pleasure." His expression turned pensive. "How are you, Dolores? I know you had to spend a while at St. Mungo's for what those bastards did to you. And it must have been rough coming back to work where it all happened. I know you and the Edgecombe's were close."

Dolores sniffed. "We were. Violetta and I were at Hogwarts together and were always close friends despite our different houses. And Thomas was always kind to me. Of course, it's even more heartbreaking for their poor daughter, Marietta. Just 12 and an orphan! And I don't know if they had any close relatives who could take her in. I'm worried about what's to become of her."

Pius shook his head. "Oh, I know, I know. Thomas was my cousin on my mother's side, but we basically grew up as brothers. In fact, well, I'm actually her godfather. I want to do what I can for the girl, but I'm a single man and an Auror. I don't know if it would be proper for me to offer her a home. Aside from never having had children, I worry my job might be too dangerous for me to be the sort of father figure she needs right now."

The witch reached over and patted him on the hand. "I want you to know – if I can do anything to help, please ask."

"That's very kind of you, Dolores. Thank you."

She smiled and decided to change the subject. "So ... how's the new boss treating you."

"Chief Bones?" Pius chuckled. "She's going to be a tyrant, I think. But that's what the Corps needs right now. If you ask me, we were getting a bit flabby under ... well, under Potter's administration. I hate to speak ill of the man after everything that's happened to him, but James Potter had no business being Chief Auror. I'm sure that if Old Scrimgeour had been healthy and in shape, he'd have taken down those Death Eaters all by himself. Instead, he ... well..."

Pius trailed off sadly, and Dolores nodded in sympathy.

"I ... didn't see it happen. I'd been stunned by that point. I just wish I could have done more to help him." Her eyes began to water.

"Here now," Pius said firmly. "You mustn't feel any guilt! Those two were hardened killers. I'm just glad you were only stunned. If you don't mind me asking, did the Healers say what Rookwood hit you with?"

"No," she replied. "I don't clearly remember it myself. It's all just a blur. I just remember him standing over me with those cruel eyes." She shuddered. "I still have nightmares about those eyes. Anyway, next thing I knew, I was waking up in a hospital bed. The Healers think it was just an overpowered stunner. I've been fine since then. And you?"

"I was lucky. Just a concussion and a few broken bones from the explosion. I was right as rain the next day."

Then, he noticed the brooch on her jacket, a stylized white cat on a solid oval background. He smiled.