Chapter 39: Conspiracies in Action

It was a dark and stormy night when the Death Eaters met in a dingy shack to make their plans and plot their crimes against the innocent wizards and witches of Britain. A dirty calendar on the wall indicated that it was in May of 1979, though the exact day was unmarked. In attendance were the three Lestranges, Lucius Malfoy (who was gagged and tied to a chair), and a hooded figure whose identity was as yet unrevealed.

"Are we ready to begin, Mr. Proteus?" sneered Bellatrix who looked young and vital, much different than the hollowed-out form that more than a decade in Azkaban would later inflict upon her. "We don't have much time if we're to get this fool back before he's missed!"

The concealed figure threw back his hood to reveal himself as Sirius Black. "Patience, Miss Demeanor. I'm quite good at what I do. I'll have poor little Luci bound to the Dark Lord's will in no time. IMPERIO!"

The spell enveloped Malfoy, who fought valiantly but was unable to resist the Unforgiveable. His face went slack and his eyes glassy.

"You will return to your father, Abraxas Malfoy," Sirius intoned. "You will apologize to him for your earlier defiance and refusal to take the Dark Mark. You will beg for the chance to join the Death Eaters. You will also agree with his demand that you marry Narcissa Black despite your disgust over her own loyalty to the Dark Lord."

Lucius nodded dumbly and then rose and left the shack.

"Well done ... Sirius Black!" Bellatrix said sarcastically. "Or should I say, Marcellus Frump!"

Sirius shook his head wildly, and in a blur, his entire face changed to that of a nondescript man with brown hair and eyes. "You're too kind, Bellatrix."

"But why the deception, Marcellus?" Rodolphus said slowly. "Why disguise yourself as Sirius Black!"

"Abraxas warned that his son has some degree of Occlumency training," Marcellus explained. "As do several others among the list of individuals our Lord has charged me with convert. It is possible that one of them might be able to break through my Imperius Curse. In which case, he would remember only that the blood traitor Sirius Black was the one who cursed him. Even a failed effort will spread dissension and misinformation among our enemies if someone so strongly opposed to the Dark Lord could become a Death Eater."

The other three laughed cruelly at his words.

"So, who's next on our list?" Bellatrix said with a laugh. "Who is the next person for my dear cousin Sirius to claim as a new Death Eater."

There was a pause. Then, after a few seconds, Bellatrix and "Marcellus" looked at Rabastan expectantly.

"Huh?" he said with a start. "Oh, it's ... um, Gregory Goyle!"

""CUT!" Rufus Scrimgeour bellowed angrily from a few feet away. There was a shimmer as his array of Notice-Me-Not and Disillusionment Charms evaporated to reveal the leonine wizard. He was sitting behind a small table upon which sat a script book containing all the dialogue that had just been recited. "For Merlin's sake, keep your head in the game, Lucius!'

At that, Lucius reentered the shack, the Charm that caused him to appear as young as he did in 1979 fading away with a flick of his wand. At the same time, the three Lestranges also returned to their 1994 appearances.

"Don't lecture me, old man!" Lucius said angrily. "Do you have any idea how hard it is to maintain two Imperius curses and four Youth-Reviving Charms while also acting?!"

"Please," Rufus sneered. "You were acting like an Imperius victim. You barely had any lines!"

Realizing that there would be a break while Rufus and Lucius argued, Marcellus Frump sighed loudly and shook his head again. Instantly, his features shifted and blurred once more until he resumed the true visage of Regulus Black.