Chapter 11: The Goblet of Fire (Aftermath)

From the Daily Prophet (Early Sunday Edition)
1 November 1994

DISASTER AT THE GOBLET OF FIRE SELECTION!
MINISTRY AND HOGWARTS BOTH FAIL TO PROTECT STUDENTS! AGAIN!

By Rita Skeeter

The much-anticipated Selection Ceremony for the Triwizard Tournament Champions held at Hogwarts last night was marred, first by controversy, then by horror! The Ceremony initially proceeded as expected with all the pomp and circumstance the Ministry promised. Although perhaps the whole proceedings were doomed from the start due to the Ministry's bizarre decision to allow the Dark Lord McAvity to participate in the ceremony, crucially by being the dignitary tasked with placing into the Goblet of Fire the parameters according to which the Tournament's challenges will be designed.

Whether what happened next was due to some malice from McAvity or not, this reporter couldn't say, but the end results speak for themselves. The Goblet initially performed its functions as expected in naming the Champions. First was Bulgarian Quidditch star Viktor Krum for Durmstrang. The second selection was more unexpected, however: a Seventh Year Beauxbatons student named Flower De Lacore, about whom little is known, though this reporter noted that the entire Beauxbatons delegation seemed shocked by young Flower's selection. We at the Daily Prophet wish Flower the best of luck. Finally, to represent Hogwarts, the Goblet selected popular Sixth Year Hufflepuff Cedric Diggory, son of well-respected Ministry official Amos Diggory.

But it was only after those three Champions had left the room that things started to go horribly wrong. For the Goblet then unexpectedly spat out a fourth selection form, and even more surprisingly, it was a form with two names on it: Jim Potter and Harry Black! The former, of course, needs no introduction: the world-famous Boy-Who-Lived who saved us all from the scourge of You-Know-Who! The other is his estranged Slytherin sibling who captured the attention of the whole nation by achieving emancipation from his neglectful parents, the Lordship of an Ancient and Noble House, and extraordinary fame and fortune in his own right all before the age of 14! This reporter personally observed both siblings after their names were selected, and it was obvious from their reactions that neither had expected to be chosen in that manner.

But the forced inclusion of underage competitors in a contest for NEWT-level students was not the worst development, dear readers! No, it was the fact that, in addition to adding young Jim and Harry to the list of competitors, the Goblet was also tampered with to make the Challenges far more dangerous to all the Champions. Indeed, it appears that this simple academic competition has been transformed into a blood sport that will pit five bright young students against Class XXXXX monsters! Even worse, a loss of magic is now the penalty for any Champions who refuse to compete, and death is a possibility for dozens of judges, ministry officials, and foreign leaders if any attempt is made to deviate from the Goblet's lethal games!

It was at this moment that Harry Black stepped forward and, despite his Slytherin Sorting, showed bravery that would make any Gryffindor proud. Rather than risk the lives of those officials who might be punished by that vile vessel for trying to cancel the Tournament, he boldly insisted on competing despite the danger. Inspired by his heroism and calm self-assurance, the other four Champions all swiftly joined him. Truly, we at the Daily Prophet are moved by this display and wish success and safety to all five competitors.

Finally, to dispel some rumors which may have arisen since the events of last night, this reporter wishes to clarify that, apparently, both Jim Potter and Harry Black admitted to placing their names into the Goblet of Fire, with young Harry candidly admitting that he simply wished to prove he could bypass the protections set up by both Dumbledore and the Ministry to prevent underaged entrants. He was not alone in undertaking that challenge, as this reporter has learned that no fewer than seven students other than Black and Potter were able to bypass the Age Line and enter their names, though thankfully they were not also selected. A mark of pride for those resourceful students? Or a sad commentary on the capacity of our leaders to protect the future of Wizarding Britain from those who would do them harm? I'm sure my readers can decide that on their own.