Chapter 4: Jim Potter and the Beast of Shamballa (pt 2)

15 July 1993
Longbottom Manor

As the warm afternoon sun shone down on his back, Harry Potter sat alone at a table on the balcony outside his room at Longbottom Manor while going over his daily correspondence (which was unusually heavy for a boy not yet thirteen). At the moment, he was reading the letter from his twin brother that had just arrived from India, and he suppressed a twinge of jealousy that Jim Potter of all people would be receiving specialized instruction into how to incorporate Parseltongue into spellcasting. Of course, once Harry was the Prince of Slytherin, he would have access to the largest treasure trove of Parseltongue lore in the world, but it still chafed that Jim would come back from India knowing more about their mutual gift than he. The boy shook his head as he shrugged off the negative emotions. He had business to attend to here in Britain that took precedence over both Parseltongue and sibling rivalry. Besides, from the tone of Jim's letters, had Harry gone to India as well, he would be spending as much time embroiled in interpersonal drama as he would be learning new magic.

From the nearby swimming pool, Harry heard a soft splash as Neville dove in for yet another set of laps. The young Slytherin glanced down at his friend and watched as he tore furiously through the water. Neville had been in a right state ever since Hermione's letters arrived from Italy the day before. The girl seemed quite eager to set up a "support group" for Theo Nott, a prospect which baffled Harry and enraged Neville. Not even several hours spent wrestling with a Venomous Tentacula had cooled his fury, so the boy had spent most of the afternoon engaged in disturbingly vigorous swimming. After at least fifty laps so far, he showed no signs of slowing down.

Harry had quietly broached the topic of Neville's extreme reaction to Theo's Ultimate Sanction with Lady Augusta. Aside from the obvious effects the spell seemed to have on Neville's mental health, it seemed increasingly likely that Neville's attitude might complicate their mutual plans for the summer. Augusta nodded and said that she was "considering options."

Earlier...

"I must say, Lady Augusta, that you seem to be handling the effects of the Ultimate Sanction rather well," Harry had said. "If it's not rude for me to ask, are you an Occlumens?"

"As I have stated, Harry," she replied imperiously. "I disapprove of the studying of Occlumency both due to its social stigma and attendant risk of mental impairment."

"So you have, Lady Augusta. And if I may say so, the way you just dodged my question was worthy of a Slytherin."

The dowager turned to Harry and lifted her chin. "Thank you, Harry. The Sorting Hat did offer it as my second choice, after all."

Now ...

Harry smiled at the memory as he continued to read Jim's letter. The Slytherin in him kept looking for subtext or hidden messages, and he was continually annoyed to not find any, but his inner Gryffindor found Jim's hopelessly direct writing style to be almost refreshing considering how many letters he'd exchanged with other Slytherins so far this summer.

"Speaking of which," Harry thought to himself as he set aside his twin's letter and pulled a fresh sheet of parchment and an Everfull Quill from his bag. After mentally composing his message, he set to writing.

To My Good Friend Marcus Flint –

When last we spoke, you reminded me of your intention to return to Hogwarts for an eighth year to finish NEWTS level instruction in Transfiguration, but you were concerned about the expense. I have previously assured you that I would do everything I could to help you fulfill your academic goals, and I am happy to tell you that my efforts have borne fruit. If you would do me the courtesy of coming via Floo to Longbottom Manor on the afternoon of July 24 th at around two o'clock, I would be delighted to introduce you to several friends who have need of a young man possessed of your particular skills and who are prepared to pay you enough to cover your expenses for the coming school year. Trust me when I say that the job they will be offering is one for which you are particularly suited and also one of great importance to the public welfare.