Chapter 11: The Ice Cream Conference

19 August 1992

School letters arrived on August 12th, and Harry and the Longbottoms went to purchase school supplies on the 19th. Making their way through Diagon Alley, the three stopped off for ice cream at Fortescue's where they met up with Hermione, Blaise, Padma and Justin, along with most of their parents. Countess Zabini was not in attendance, but Gunther was there, leaning with his back to a wall from a vantage point that gave him a commanding view of the room. At one point, Florean Fortescue actually asked the towering bodyguard if he'd like a chair or perhaps a milkshake. The look that Gunther gave him had the man practically running back to his counter in fear. As for the rest, Augusta arranged for a separate table for the grown-ups so that they could talk about their various school-related concerns without the children hearing, while the children could talk freely without their parents eavesdropping.

The Muggle parents in particular where still somewhat alarmed about the "terrorist attack" at Potter Manor a few weeks prior, especially since most of them were in attendance. Augusta was quick to reassure them all that Hogwarts was considered one of the most secure magical places in Britain. That mollified them somewhat but not completely, as the Grangers and the Finch-Fletchleys were all four worried about "dangerous elements" within the school itself. And at that comment, all four of them looked over in Harry's direction with concern. Harry gave them his most winning smile, but it seemed to do nothing to reassure the Muggles. Justin, on the other hand, gave his parents a murderous look before turning to the Slytherin.

"Harry, I am so sorry. I can't imagine what's gotten into Mother and Father. They've both taken a wholly irrational dislike to you and won't even say why."

"It's not a problem," said Harry, trying to make light of things. "Jim was probably rude to them or something and they can't tell us apart."

"Hmm. Perhaps so," replied Justin.

"Anyway, enough of that. We haven't talked since the birthday party, and I wanted to say how sorry I am that your parent's first exposure to magical culture ended so ... unpleasantly. I didn't see you afterwards. Did your family have any problems getting away?"

"Oh no. Luckily, we were well away from the center of all the action, thank goodness. And Ron Weasley's parents were nearby with a portkey in the form of a ten-foot-long string of Christmas tree lights that Mrs. Weasley was hiding in her purse somehow. I guess they need one that big for a family that large. Anyway, Mr. Weasley insisted that we join them, so we all went back to the Burrow for the rest of the afternoon until Mr. Weasley could arrange a temporary Floo connection to our home." Justin leaned in almost conspiratorially. "I say, did you know they have a flying car?! Is that legal?"

Harry coughed delicately. "So I've heard. And no, it's not. Mr. Weasley's a wonderful man but a bit indiscreet, so I'd appreciate it if everyone kept that little detail to themselves."

Justin nodded sagely and tapped his finger to his nose. "Right-o." Before he could say anything more, however, two more people entered Fortescue's: Theo Nott ... and Draco Malfoy. Theo said his hellos to everyone and then asked Draco with a badly faked smile whether he wanted to join them.

"You're too kind, all of you. Unfortunately, I'm here with my father, who needs me for some important errands. Perhaps another time. Theo, we'll meet you at the bookstore in two hours. Blaise, Harry, Hermione, so wonderful to see you again." He turned to Neville, and his sincerity lapsed a bit. "Longbottom."

"Malfoy," said Neville evenly. With that, Draco nodded to the rest of the group. Then, he turned and strode off in the direction of Lucius Malfoy, who was waiting out in the street with an ornate wooden box under his arm. Theo's smile lasted until the two were out of sight ... at which point it turned into a snarl as he sat down.